1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What went wrong this week !!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Clapper&Company, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

We every one post about what is broke, not working ect. So I wanted to mix it up.

Heres a new post purplebou:salute:

Well Since Last Saturday night when we got the frezzing rain, we have been out every day doing somthing.

Salted first part of the week,

Then on wesday we got 4" of snow we ended up plowing every thing once during the day and did clean ups wesday night/ Thursday moring.

So on Firday moring they were calling for a 1" so we started snowing and never stoped, we ended up with 4-6" of snow. We ended up pushing every thing 3 & 4 times.

Over all a good week what went wrong?

Last Saturday we fried a napa battery it was From Napa and was bought Dec of 06.
    on Friday, (yesterday) we fried a Napa Battery it was bought June of 07.
    Salt Spreader quick working, Took 10mins, some wire nuts and tape, and the lights at speed way to get it fixed.

Other then that its been a great week, Knock on wood.

It just seems like were alway talking about what went wrong, so Though I would spice it up1:drinkup:

2. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

my 99 dodge ram 3500 V-10 went into the dealer this week before our ice storm w/ 2 cracked heads and leaking trans lines....$5200.00 repair:eek:

3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

some people are gonna be jealous of u

4. RhinoL&L

RhinoL&L Senior Member

Ron- you are just having a grand start to this winter. im sure you are enjoying it LOLpayup

5. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

I am, Shawn I hope it keeps up!!!

Icey man, are you one of them?

6. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

Plowed on the 1st with ice and slush, 2 trucks got stuck (newbie drivers). Got 5" on the 4th plowed for 16hrs straight, 1 truck backed into light pole and crushed salt spreader ( 1900.00) one driver fell asleep and forgot to plow 3 accounts ( fired next day) customers called beacuse sidewals did not get cleared enough apparently my crew thought it was time for Mcdonalds (fired crew leader and wrote the rest) Plowed again on the 6th, only 2" push so i drove around and monitored my crew to make sure the stuff got done. Freezinfg rain last night and all the plows froze to the ground, took about 1 hr to get things going, so i bought about 5 gallons of de-icer that i know use on all the plows and pump cylinders before we put the up. 2 guys called in sick so myself and 2 crew leaders salted all lots..except 1 forgot to load up his salt??? just another day in paradise

7. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Are those seasonal deals? Im curious why you'd plow them four times for six inches.

8. traviswalker007

traviswalker007 Senior Member

we got 5" on the 4th of december!! not plowed 4 times

9. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Not you. I meant Clapper.

10. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

9 Days into our plowing Season in eastern Iowa

My skid loader is having fuel problems and is in the hospital and my Snow-ex 575 Quit working last night. I am going to figure that thing out tomorrow. I am sure my clutch is going out on my F250 again.

Things that are working as planed though My New Snow-Ex 2400 Is the bes investment I have made for the snow side of my business. Its just awesome. I can go out with 4 to 5 tons of salt and stay out for hours. Its just freaking awesome.

My Box pushers are working great as well. Before my Skid loader crapped out I did a lot with it, a pusher with a pull back blade. In 25 Minutes. And its 2 lots that each hold 100 plus cars. Took 30 minuts each with a truck. So I think I made good time.

We finally got our walks all clean today. That Ice we had has kept us so busy on de-icing lots that our walks get forgotten about.

I have been through 50 tons of bulk salt, 6 Pallets of bag melters, Not a whole lot of sleep a 36 Hour day. Lots of fuel. But we have been getting it done. This Whole freaking ice thing is killing me But we have more snow forcasted for this week. So thats good.

Peterbilt

11. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Snow Nope I got 2 seasonals, We salted the p!$$ out of them, Pushed them mid day and salted agian.

The rest are Per Push, Mostly Dr Office and Shoping centers.

12. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I have to add to the list. All 5 trucks with plows are working.

Skid 1 - no good. Skid 2 worked great but it better since it is new.

2 New Holland utility tractors with front mount blowers. These little guys do about alot of residencial drvies, sidewalks etc.

Boomer 1 only 448 hours on it - the doors would not stay shut due to the cab twisting all over with the wonder ice we have here. Other than that it worked good.

Boomer 2 Only 187 hours on it. I blew a hydro line that runs the spot - went to turn it and blasted the windshield with oil! Then I had to turn it so it would at least work to one side, shot oil 50 ft into the yard. Call 1 guy - works at JD - no answer. No answer at NH. I call BOBCAT/Kubota dealer - he can do but quickly cuz he is out the door to go deer hunting. I send one guy down there to replace/fix hose. He gets back, tie everything in, hit the switch, blew the hose right off the end. He forgot to crimp it. Call him back - he is out of town now with a bunch a of guys hunting. I call the JD guy back - late nite for him! He fixes and were off. Now with oil all over my wind shield, can't see the wiper decides to stop. Get snow, wash off windshield with a rag, find the fuses, get new fuses, finally back at it.

So since 1 this morning - to the most part things went well. The best part - 6 inch of fluff! Gotta love those snows!

13. Clapper&Company

from NE OHIO

Fun Fun got to love it

14. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

havent been out enough here in michigan to break anything:cry:

15. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Putting a alternator in right now.

16. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Well lets see, in the last week I blew a hydro hose on my Boss angle cylinder. 10 pm on a sunday night and only about 1/2 way through my route. Got a friend to put a new end on the hose. I owe him big time. I have since bought new hose's for the Boss and they will stay in the truck. My new to Downeaster tailgate spreader burned up a spreader motor on tuesday so I was spreading salt with a push spreader. On Friday I was at a church I do and had the dump insert box in the up position to take some pictures and the box will not go down. Its a power up and power down, so I call Downeaster and they were no help. Im 1-2 miles from the garage so I drive there with the box in the up position. Call Jerre and he walks me through it, turns out its a switch that has a bit of carbon on the contacts. Its been a crappy start to winter for me. I like stuff to work when you need it to.

Regards Mike

17. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

Wish we had them problems.

18. jlouki01

jlouki01 Senior Member

Unloaded 2 pallets of salt by hand to get a call from customers because the weather forcast changed mid afternoon calling for ice... Had to re-load everything. Nothing broken yet though..

19. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Does my broken finger from the snowblower fiasco work for you Ron. The thinig is killing me today. Still working on those darn ivoices too

20. REAPER

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

I have a 1988 GMC k2500 as my back up. I need to take it over to the Western dealer and have the pump looked at. Since I am replacing the alternator in mine I figure I better keep the back-up up to par.

Son is backing it out of garage to take it over and pick up my alternator at same time and both brake lines leading to the back popped and shot brake fluid on the underside and leaving a trail out the garage like a bottle of it was poured on the floor. :realmad:

I actually should have expected it as I just replaced the fuel line that runs right below them over the summer for the same reason. :realmad:

So much or doing drives on the street for 3 bucks each now. :rolleyes: