1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Weight Oil should I use?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Wrecker, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Wrecker

Wrecker Junior Member

I have a 89 K2500 with a 350 with about 90,000 miles on it. I live in Upstate NY and use my truck for plowing a dozen driveways and drive 30 miles a day for work. What weight Oil should I use. I don't baby my truck or abuse it. I use it for a Truck..... I'm currently using 10w30.... Someone I know suggested 20w40... Just want to take care of my truck.

Thanks
    Paul

2. murphyslaw

murphyslaw Senior Member

in the winter i would use 5=30 and in the summer 10-40(thats what i use in my 78chev and the 85dodge and the 2000 dodge. seems to work good. and i use oil pan heaters.

3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I would use 10W30 in the summer and 5W30 in the winter.....I would also recomend only using an AC PF52 . This filter will keep from having a dry start up.

4. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

10w 30 is perfect for year round conditions, I wouldn't go any thinner than thats because your motor has 90,000 on it, the tolerances aren't as tight.

IN the summer switch to a 10w 40. I think the only thing you could benefit from is a synthetic, so you won't have to change it that often. Otherwise keep that 10w 30 in there and change every 3,000, I use the FRAM tough gaurd oil filters, w/antidrain back valve.

5. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

I run 10W30 year around in southern Ohio. I figure with him being in a colder climate than me he would want 5w30 for winter. Yes I use synthetic, but didn't want to start a big fight over it here. I used to run Fram filters, was have lifter knock on start up on my 98 k3500 with 165000 miles.Talked to a fleet mechanic about it who showed me the difference between the filters(he cut open old ones). The Fram only has a relief valve in it, nothing to keep the oil from draining back into the sump(4x4 filters sit on their side, 2wd sit almost upright). Changing to the PF-52 has eliminated my lifter noise on start up...

6. Caleb55

Caleb55 Member

10w-30 in all my 350 chevy's. Use to go with the pf-52, now I use a Wix filter, since I have any easier time getting this filter, still same good quality.