1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What weather site is the best?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Crazygator, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Crazygator

Crazygator Member
    from TN

I was wondering which weather site is the most used and most acurate? I know about weather.com and intellicast.com. Are there any that you have found to be far superior than the others?

Thanks!

2. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Intellacast

Weatherbug

Weather channel

Use as many as I can an avg the info.

I also like the radar loops in motion.

3. Yzal

Yzal Member
    from ND

i like to use the same tool the weather man uses... a dart board! they've been way off this year.
    i do have weather bug, but i like intellacast its pretty good, you can see stuff coming. and i can tell when i should be putting my sail boat in the lake in January;)

4. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I do as snowgodfather does, use as many sources as possible. I do belong to one pay site though, accuweather.com prfessional site. They have one forcaster who is excellent in the long range forcast. He's Joe Bastardi and he is very good from three to six days out (but he does, of course make mistakes) but average when the storm is 1-2 days out when it comes to snowfall amounts. He did predict the recent snowfall around these parts about five days away when many locals didn't even think it would snow until the night before. Well worth the 9.95 per month.

5. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

I'm in Canada so I use different sources than most of you. Environment Canada has quite accurate forcasts. They also have a Infra Red radar, and animated satelite loops. I go by those as well. The local weather and theweathernetwork.com are also two sourcesI use. Like snowgodfather, I too average out what all these sources predict. It still usually just comes down to waking up at 2am everymorning and looking out the window to see if it snowed:)

6. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Oh yeah, I also use highway web cams as a source. I live 400km from Vancouver, so I have several highway cams save in my favorites folder. I can check on these from time to time, and they give me a few hours warning on any storm coming towards us.:)

7. firemedic680

firemedic680 Member
    from BG Ohio

www.johndee.com , this is a good site with some of the most accurate forcasts i have seen. There are also some neat pages on the site , like the journal and the AL cam.

8. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

National Weater Service

i use the national weather service.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/

you can find a radar thats close to you. they also have satillite loop imagry.

i belive this is where all the news channels get thier info. they also have forcasting, storm totals,(sometimes with snowfall maps)(great for billing) and seasonal history.

i have found to be pretty good at reading my local radar reports to determine when to go out......

9. dfor

dfor PlowSite.com Veteran

When there is a storm brewing, I usually start at www.millenniumweather.com This guy discusses what the different models are predicting, and his thoughts on them. I believe it includes TN.

10. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

11. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

12. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Ah, the great debate!

I start with the weatherchannel. Then I work my way over to www.accuweather.com. Then too - www.intellicast.com. My last stop is - www.noaa.gov; In my experience this site has been most accurate.

Accuweather has some great features, but they have not forcasted ONE storm correctly for my area. Actually, they have not been close!

Chuck B

13. NoStockBikes!!

NoStockBikes!! Senior Member

I'll say NOT weather.com... Even this morning they were saying nothing til "light snow" Saturday. We got a couple inches on the ground here in the past couple hours. Last Sunday I happened to let the radio sit on NPR for a minute during a seek/scan run and the lady on there said "Snow today through tomorrow morning, then Tuesday partly cloudy, snow showers Wednesday, Thursday, Friday" Now I consider more than 2 days out to be the guessing zone, but when the NPR lady is right 4 days out, and weather.com can't even get it right 1 hour before, "what's up with that?":confused:

14. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

weatherbug its free!!

15. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

I use a weather rock, it is just as accurate as any of them sites.

last night I went out and the weather rock said it was snowing, and you know what, it was!

The weather man said last night no snow till today....mmmmmm

Oh well we got to plow...yet again:D :)

16. GeeMC

GeeMC Member

Wouldn’t it be nice for this prediction from the Farmers Almanac for east coast to come through! I like the blizzard part during the second week of February!
    http://www.almanac.com/weather/region1.php

In my next life, I want to be a weather man. I don’t have to be right and I still get paid for it!
    :D

17. myo

myo Senior Member

Weather Channel is good, I also did a search for local news/weather station on TV and use their website quite often too. Weather Bug is good too.

18. turfguy

turfguy Member

wunderground

www. wunderground.com gets my vote!!! I get the weather updates sent right to my nextel phone as email and when the weather service sends out a alert or warning I get it within minutes. during the summer months severe weather alerts notify me of thunderstorms and the rare twister......try it its only 5$ a year

19. turfguy

turfguy Member

wunderground

www. wunderground.com gets my vote!!! I get the weather updates sent right to my nextel phone as email and when the weather service sends out a alert or warning I get it within minutes. during the summer months severe weather alerts notify me of thunderstorms and the rare twister......try it its only 5$ a year

20. RodPhillips

RodPhillips Junior Member

I have tried a few (accuweather, intellicast). Now I am using weatherunderground.com for the forecast. As far as the looping radar I think that intellicast.com comes in first there.