1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What was your first plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnowGodFather, Jan 16, 2003.

1. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

Mine was a 4 x 8 sheet of plywood reenfoced with 2x4', powered by 2 boys
  2. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Don't laugh, no I am serious don't laugh!

At the wonderful age of 6-7 I wanted to out do Dad on his wheelhorse tractor with a 48" blade. Nailed a 2x4 to a piece of OSB (1'x3') Couldn't figure out how to attach to my BICYCLE. Never did try it out... Dad carpeted it and turned it into a scratching post for the cats. 25 years later Dad still has it.

At 32 bought a used 8.5' plow........... It works much better I am sure.

3. Lawn Lad

Lawn Lad Senior Member

First snow plow was a SnoWay on an S-10. Before that it was just snow blowers. The S-10 is on it's last leg this winter, won't be with us past this April. I miss it already.
  4. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

My first "plow" was when I was 16, with my ex at her house in her room, in her bed. LOL Mike :drinkup: Snowplowing was the farthest thing from my mind at the time!!
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2003
  5. drobson

drobson Senior Member

First plow was an 8' Fisher with steel sno-foil on a '78 GMC 2500. This was the old style, had to mount it with a jack and use a hammer to pound the pins through. It worked well though, once I got it on the truck. The more I think about that plow, the more I love the Minute Mounts I have now...
  6. farmertim

farmertim Member

My first plow was a 7.5 "used" meyer that fit my well worn 79 F150 4x4.
    The cutting edge was so worn I welded it on where it hadn't worn through the plow itself.
    By the end of the season it would only turn left and I could only plow to the left and not hit the banks to hard or it would shift all the way to the right.
    It was the only year I used it, gave the pickup away.
    I still have the plow, it is now a wing on my 8'Oshkosh V plow..
    I am so glad it was a light snow year that year and I only had 35 drives to do..
    this was in 1997... Ive updated quite a bit sense then...
  7. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

1968 International Scout 4x4 w/ Fisher manual angle plow
  8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Tim, you're plowing driveways with an Oshkosh? What year is the truck? My buddy has a '56 that was refurbed and numbered in '77.
  9. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

Manual angle/winch operated 6 1/2 ft plow on a 1978 Dodge "Power Wagon" with a 440. (not nice on gas). Plow is gone, truck is still around and is now my bush truck.:D
  10. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

The one I have now.
  11. wyldman

wyldman Member

First ever plow,was actually a car.A 76 Pontiac station wagon.The back was full of 3/4 gravel,and it had a really old 6.5 ft blade.It needed chains,but would still push pretty good.That was until the cops pulled it off the road because it had no roof !
  12. farmertim

farmertim Member

Hey Pelican!!

I don't have an oshkosh plow truck, only a 8' V plow made by oshkosh that was made to fit on the front of one, which was retrod to use on a three point hitch of a 100 Hp tractor that I re-retroed to work on the front of my loader Tractor which I use to role back the sides of the 5 miles of common roads I plow.
    I put the old meyer on the right side in order to make a ledge when things get close in the spring.
    I'll get some pic's posted soon.
    p.s. nice 550 by the way, the "only" change I would have made was to opt for the the next longer wheel base option.
  13. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

My first snowplow was a 6 1/2' Meyer manual angle on a 1972 Jeep CJ-5 with a 427- BB :D with 14" - 40" tires. Man could that CJ-5 move snow :eek: It paid for it's self the first month I plowed. :waving:
  14. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Late 60's Gilson garden Tractor with 48" (I believe) Dozer blade. Would move Snow, ice, earth, and even small trees. It has the Deck for lawns, and the tiller for soil work, and the cast iron frame makes it one of the good ones, the old ones... Love that thing, still have it, and it's getting the 16hp B&S rebuilt as we speek... Heavy.... :nod: Nothing more fun to use when clearing walks...
  15. RodPhillips

RodPhillips Junior Member

'68 International Scout with 6' Meyer manual angle. Had it 12 years before it died (rust, motor and plow). Replacing with a SnoWay 7'-6" MT90 next Monday.
  16. 99SDPSD

99SDPSD Senior Member

1949 Fergson TO 20 farm tractor with a 7' blale. Lifted by a set of special arms for the 3pt hitch. Still have to this day. Now it just mows the lawn.
  17. long0

long0 Senior Member

79 Ford Bronco w/ 7.5 Meyers. Ii still goes out every time it snows.

18. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

First 4x4 truck was a new 90 GMC 1/2 ton short box
    Z-71. Plow was a new 6.5 cable controlled western
    straight blade.......That plow was on my 90-94-97
    trucks...Outlasted them all with few problems ! I
    got pretty handy wrenching it at 4 am ! 10 HARD
    NY winters I got out of it and only paid $1300 new
    installed way back when ! Sold it last year to a Buddy
    of mine for $500 bucks and hes got it mounted on his
    95 Chevy half and working it daily !
    Now have a new 2500 xcab with a 6.5 western ultra-
    mount with turkey wings....Rig works flawlessly !
    AND LOTS of snow to play with so far this year to play
    with and get paid $$$$$$$........................geo

Especially last winter we got NADA snow!
    Thats why its so SWEET this year.........................
  19. Alaska Ranger

Alaska Ranger Junior Member

Some nice old ones here! Like that '49 Ferguson. My first was on the '51 Jeep...umm...."wagon?"....back on the farm in Vermont. It had a 7' manual angle blade. Had to run out and pop the pin left and right to change angle. Absolutely no idea what brand it was.
  20. bassmaster

bassmaster Junior Member

My 7.5 meyer poly i paid cash for about 3 years ago if i had to do it all over I would've not bought a plow in the first place I'm better off With a couple of toro snow blowers!!!!