1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What was the worst thing..

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by KINNCO, Feb 5, 2007.

KINNCO Senior Member

What was the worst thing that you tore up while plowing??

I was plowing a gas station and tore up the "whole" concrete gas filler thinga-ma-gingy
    Man that scared the livin crap out of me and left one hell of a round dent above my edge:realmad:
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

A custom garage door that cost 4,400 bucks to replace.:cry: Thank god for insurance.
  3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

Big heavy wet spring storm (about 12 inches)
    long downhill run behind some condos
    everything pushes to one side (and then you come back and backdrag out all the driveways in the day)
    and to the other side is a 6' picket fence with about 2 ' to put the snow, so the snow just stacks up against it

Unless you are really flying with a big heavy wet snow

Knocked down about a 100 feet of fence just blew it clean out, most of the poles stayed up though.
    Apparantly you need to slow down some. :blush2:
  4. payton

payton Senior Member

backed over a exit sign at a library. 30 bucks to fix. damn thing only stood 2 ft or less off the ground.. just high nuff for my bumper to hit it.
  5. pats plowing

pats plowing Senior Member

Backed into one of those garage entrance things that go up (during last years blizzard), but the actual board wasnt on it. It had been there since the early 70's and they planned on taking it out soon. :)
  6. PSUTurf

PSUTurf Junior Member

Telephone junction box that had 2 or 3 big cables running into it. Each big cable looked like it had a couple hundred little wires come out of them. I never heard what the repair bill was.
  7. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

After big snow fall in the 2000 snow season we had to move and push back snow piles with a loader! Did not know there was a phone, cable and power box behind one BIG pile. 300 unit condo complex lost cable and phone and two streets lost power. OPPS!!

same year a worker backed into a Mustang at the same complex. guy was back blading a driveway and the old man owner was yelling at him to get closer to his garage door. when he backed out he he was all pissed about this dude and did not pay attention to what was behind him WHAM riped the whole side of the mustang open (you could put your hand in the car)

Same year same complex I I backed into a mailbox and knocked it down. Problem was it was one of them mailboxes for the entire street that they have in condo's
  8. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

This year one of my drivers backed into the corner of a brick house ( don't know what thats gonna cost but i know they're gonna need a mason (cha-ching $$$) to fix it1 Also this year the same guy backed into the front end of a newer Ford truck. Broke the plastic grille.
    Several years ago we had an apartment complex and they had one of those green telephone wire junction posts well I hit it and tore it open but i don't think anyone lost service as nothing was ever said about it.
  9. Turf Masters

Turf Masters Member

Good-bye garage door!

Several years ago when I did some residential plowing before we went all commercial I was back-dragging a driveway infront of the garage.When I turned the truck around to push the snow into the street I hit the gas to hard and caved in the garage.The people who lived there could not get there car out for 3 day's until they got a new door installed which of course I paid for.It was not funny then,but I laugh about it all the time now!(only when my employees are not around).
  10. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I've been really lucky. I tore the glued on plastic Outback emblem off a subaru wagon on the back of it. My deflector hit it when I dropped the plow to back drag. fixed that. No cost. Hit a mirror in a saab. I was backing up and the blade hit it. It just folded in like it was supposed to. No damage. Folded it back. Caught the door to my friends tacoma pickup while I was backing up. Stopped within 2" of hitting it. No damage or marks on the door. Got real lucky. when it comes down to it, I probably don't have enough plowing hours under my belt to have any more serious accidents yet. I'm sure they'll catch up with my eventually though. Maybe not this year though.
  11. Rcgm

Rcgm Senior Member

The lady that likes next door backe dher car up my driveway and smashed into the corner of my garage twisting my brick colum on my garage 87 hundred dollars it cost her insurance.My wife was so happy it was the day before we got married.:D
    My friend hit one of those phone junction boxes before to taking out phone lines they fixed it and never said another word.

12. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge Senior Member

tis was funny!

i had finished plowing a day care at around 8 pm one evening after leaving the daycare i was traveling to another site. when i came to a stop sign i was sitting there waiting for an oppurtunity to pull out when this car is trying to turn beside me. She didnt make the turn she slid rite into the left corner of the plow. She got out an apologized an she said she wasn't concerned about her damage an i didnt think it hurt anything on my vehicle so we just got back in our vehicles an left. thats where i made a mistake, on the next lot i discovered i had a broken top cap! I should have gotten her insurance card!! Thanks George
  13. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Is there not one of the tank lids with some monitoring device that costs like $10k -$15k?
    I have heard horror stories of that getting hit with a plow and needing the whole thing replaced.

I actually had a friend offer good money to plow his station. That one tank lid was enough for me to say no.
  14. GrandScapes

GrandScapes Senior Member

I was waiting for one of these post to come up...

Consumers power box...Knocked out power to 5 different condo units(about 20 addresses) on X-mas morning. Was at the edge of the driveway and the driveway had a curve that after 20 hours of plowing, the curve didnt exist so i backed right into it hahahahah..we wont talk about the price to repair this...

Another was one of those up and down arms at the entrance at apt complexes, I ripped the whole unit right out of the ground. That was about 5k to fix

A brick address sign, backed into it and busted the corner off. that was around 1800 to have repaired
  15. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

This was a concrete riser with a lid (cap) 4 or 5 inches high by 2 foot round.. the actual filler lid was under in. The Arib guy that own the staion was more concerned about my plow LOL. He threw it all together..ran up and got a news paper stand, ran back sat it on the lid, and it's still there 5 weeks later:dizzy:
  16. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

What about a fire hydrant? Anyone hit one and tear apart their truck?
  17. LHK2

LHK2 Senior Member

Commercial lot and hit a aluminum fence backing up. Bent about 100 ft. Broke every post. Haven't recieved the bill yet from the fence guy, but I know it's cost alot.

to much equipment to list
  18. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

oh boy

couple years ago when i used to plow for the city in the old dump truck i was plowing a new neighbor hood that i never even drove through before so i backed into a fire hydrant (no damage, thank god) plowing a one way street i was angling to the left really close to the curb and caught the tarp handle on a telephone poll ( no longer have a tarp handle :rolleyes: )....... that was my first storm ever plowing. last year i at my house i have a driveway next to my house and then one around the corner ( i have a corner lot) well i was plowing the corner drive, there is curb on one side and grass on the other at the very end the curb starts to curve with the corner, well i didnt realize till i got home that nite that i had riped out about 20 feet of the curb... oh well it loooks like **** now but there is no more puddles of mud at the end :p
  19. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

my worst it ripping up grass with the atv or where the blacktop for the road connects to the blacktop of our driveway iv ripped a few good chunks out of that (pavers of road did a really bad job getting nice smooth edges)
  20. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

I was plowing a daycare lot about midmorning once, and we had about 4 inches of snow, with 3 ft deep drifts. I hit the dirft and turned out a small trike that was one of the kids. At first I paniced and thought I hit the kid on the trike, but once incestigated turned out to just be the trike. It was a small panic, on a taxed out mind and body after about 12 hours of straight plowing, hahaha, I can laugh at it now, but then I was worried $h!tle$$