1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what was it like before big pushers?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ironjet, Dec 30, 2009.

1. ironjet

ironjet Junior Member

just about every plaza or shopping center has a loader or backhoe with a pusher on it .
    what was it like before everyone started using this type of machinery on the big sites? i'm guessing a whole lot of 3/4 tons with plows , maybe a big dump with a plow and a lot of hours ?

2. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

a lot i used to plow we ran a f700 witha 10' plow and f350 dump with an8.5 and a f350 SRW with a 7.5 and it took about 7-8 hours. now the company that does it has a loader witha huge box on it and a pickup and they are done in 4-5 hours. another one took 2 trucks about 2 hours loader and one truck done in a little over an hour

3. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

is that back when you had to walk uphill to school both ways?

lol j.k :laughing:

4. clark lawn

clark lawn PlowSite.com Addict
    from NE ohio

I know the second lot they are getting the same price we did 15 years ago but doing it in half the time with less equipment on site

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

It sucked, to put it mildly.

Far more breakdowns with trucks because they were getting pushed so hard.

Anything over 4-5" put me in a near state of panic.

Wet, heavy snows were also a PITA and wonder if you were going to make it.

Loaders\tractors with pushers have made plowing much less stressful.

Not near as much stacking and\or removal needed as we used to.

6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

On larger sites windrows were the norm.

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Most of the bigger lots were done with loaders but no pusher for them ,just the bucket.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  8. procut

procut Senior Member

Modern pick-up plows are actually are actually relativly new technology. I know my dad plowed snow in the '70s with my uncle and they did a lot of bigger lots. I think they used mostly dump trucks with under body blades and back hoes and loaders, no pushers just used the bucket. I think they might have had like one pick-up with a plow.

9. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Back when margins were higher since most places are still paying the same rate as they are today to get cleared?

Back when bids were close and speeding up cleaning process did'nt matter because you did'nt have to slash throats to get the job in the first place at rates 20yrs old?

prsport

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

My dad started putting blades on tractor in the late 60's but they weren.t much better then a bucket. In the early 80's we started using Frink 14ft cutting edge trip hyrdraulic angle blades and thats when production really picked up. In the 70's we mainly plowed with pickups and just had a loader clen up the big windrows with the bucket. My dad built the first pusher we ever had in 87.

11. grandview

Before you were born,right?

12. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

In the mid eighties at Poughkeepsie IBM[largest IBM main frame facility in the world],the largest contractor in our area brought down app.15 Cat loaders,sizes from a 980 to the largest back then,a 992.Their welder spent about a week putting on straight cutting edges over the teeth.Pretty awesome sight.

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Plowed basically Every storm since 75. I slept on the seat of the pickup.:D

14. grandview

The more things charge,the more they stay the same!:D

15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

:popcorn::laughing::popcorn::laughing:

16. theonlybull

theonlybull Senior Member

lol. course another thing.. 20+ years ago. everyone didn't have to get to wallmart at 7:55am after a storm that ended at 7:53am...... some people actually stayed home.... cars were better at getting around in snow, and drivers were better......... well maybe there was just less of them......

the fisher on our 77 bronco, is a 73 model. i'm sure they made bigger ones back then...... a guy down the road built a wooden rotary blower on the front of his shop truck.... that would have been the early 60's.

17. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

The largest mall in our area STILL windrows :dizzy::cry:

Every year i try and tell the property manager that windrowing went out with the 80's

18. IHI

IHI Senior Member
    from Iowa

Oh crap...now Mark will have to weigh in and set you straight:

19. Lugnut

Lugnut Senior Member

Who was doing the plowing back then? I believe last I saw Brickman (or Neave maybe?) has it now...anyway both my dad and uncle work there now, and my grandpa did before he retired as well

20. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

I windrow the movie theatre that I do. It's kinda nostalgic, and gets the job done.