1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what was I thinking

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by spittincobra01, Feb 3, 2007.

1. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

well we had our first real plowable event last night and I was out from 9pm till 4am then again from 8am till just now (1pm). A decent amount of time anyway... WTF why is it that the only time people are decent to you is when you are in thier drive way? I was at the gas station to fuel up and pulling out and some jackass pulls in right in front of me, I had to back out. We get idiots that pull out in front of us, tail gait, box in, harrass, cut off, flipped off... why do I look forward to this so much every year?
    Early morning isn't bad at all, but day time is a different animal all together!
  2. payton

payton Senior Member

when they tailgate.. flip salter on for a sec.. pepper there window. they will back off..

as far as gas stations go.. guesss you learned to pull all the way up so theres no change of having to back up.

people are idiots thats just simple life.. 90% of people think everyone owes them something..

smile and nod. and realize your making money.. so its gonna cost ya another 2 mins.. its ok.. your still making a lot more then most.
  3. Mr frosty

Mr frosty Member
    from canada

that,s why we plow the gas stations with the loader. They just stop or will run over them
  4. all seasons

all seasons Member

If you are like me I crave the window between 2 AM and 5 AM when you are out plowing and you dont see another human being in ten square miles, the snow is falling and all stress just melts away...aaaahhhhhh,....until they get up to go to work at 5 and your not alone again.............
  5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

it's great
    It's amazing how productive you are between 10pm and 5:30am or so vs after that.
  6. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Are any of you impressed with the great timing of this event? In Nashua where I plow, I got started at about 4am and was putting on finishing touches at places about 9am. 1 time around, since all the roads were cleared ahead of me. Most of the work was in the late/early hours, so very few traffic snarls for me (except going home, when I got caught in the 93 debaucle with the fatal truck accident). The only thing better for timing would have been a Saturday night, knowing businesses are closed Sunday! Still though, 40 driveways, some walks, and 2 commercial lots done with 1 truck in 5 hours. I was quite happy. I know my route, too, which I find to be a great advantage. Glad we all got some snow to work with today! Take care

7. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Don't let jerks ruin your fun. I like the spreader idea for tailgaters.
  8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

YES, that is when i plow if i can, start at around 2am, it is perfect. Thats when i plowed last night (well technically this morning). Still couldn't believe some of the idiots on the highway going 70+ when it still hadn't been completely cleared.

the kicker i got was when i was driving down a 30mph limit street near my house (N.E. Blvd for those who know the area), as the storm as starting to pick up and make a mess. People were driving about 15-20mph tops, and there was a freakin cop with his radar gun out in a parking lot!!!! :confused:

well, im VERY happy we finally got some snow, i feel as though ive gotten my sanity back (temporarily i think) and it feels good! Now its time to get the first real sleep since thursday night!
  9. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

This snow was just a tease for me. Now I want more and more. I understand why people say it is like crack. I think i was better off without any snow.
  10. spittincobra01

spittincobra01 Senior Member

aint that the truth! only... I can do without the idiots on the road ways! I would have done all mine early this morning but some of my comm lots want me to wait till morning so thier tennants can move thier cars out. that is why I did the res early and had to go back out... I won't be picking those up again next year
  11. xlr8

xlr8 Senior Member

12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I was coming to work Friday night.
    Woman in a Tarus is following a City truck that's hitting drifts with his plow for a mile of 4 lane road. It's cold and snow's making a cloud around the truck. The woman stayed in the cloud the whole time. Keeps swerving and braking - but never backed off out ---> of the snow cloud. Then she pulls up right behind him at a light. Light changes and spreader comes on - salt bounces off her windshield, hood, bumper and roof .She follows for 2 blocks at a perfect distance to keep it happening
    We let these people get driver's licenses?
  13. meathead1134

meathead1134 Senior Member
    from MA

I didn't get any snow, My parents got some in New Bedford, along with Dartmouth, Fairhaven and the town of Franklin got some. In Attleboro we didn't get anything :realmad: :realmad: I just salted saturday morning
  14. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

What pisses me off is I'm right about to plowing the last path next to one side of the gas pumps... why can't they park on the other side since I won't be on that side for a few minutes?
  15. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

This surprises you how? :dizzy:

I mean sure, people were probably in ditches and needed help, old ladies needed assistance, along with 1000 other things they could be doing during a storm etc........but the scum tax collectors still need to fulfill there 20 to 1 ratio. Harass 20 people before they go help 1.

At least the cop with the radar slept well that night knowing darn well he "helped" during the storm.

Plus it is a double sided-sword and it all boils down the money. The money that the tickets generate, plus I am sure the chief used the storm as justification for more hours for the cops, so he had to send them out doing something. How much you want to bet that the cop holding the radar was on overtime?
  16. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Had a friggin' trucker sleeping in my main lot the other night, you'd think he'd get out of the way right? Nope. He's trespassing and has no right to be there, and is keeping me from doing my work. Took a couple beeps of the horn and banging on his window to get him up but instead of leaving he moves further into my parking lot (so I have to move him again 15 mins later) and to prove I annoyed him he sits and lay on the air horns for a while, in the middle of the night. Thats it, wake up the whole neighbourhood.

I didn't bother moving him for the salting. Salted the hell out of his fancy aluminum rims.

Next move was to call the cops and have him removed.
  17. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

Problem is a lot of times they cannot legally ask him to leave or get on a public way, so they ignore them a lot of times, nor can they do much without a complaint from the owner or proper signs in the lot. Either way a pain (at least it is down here).

Besides you might take the police away from the speed trap (see above), and that will surely upset them. No money in asking a trucker to move. :) payup
  18. NCass31

NCass31 Member

another problem solver for the tailgating issue, though i like the salter idea alot and will have to try it (just picked up a tailgate spreader today) i have aux reverse/work lights on the trailer hithc, much like the white nights, and when someone gets a little to close and its dark out, BAM!! :eek: a flick of the switch and they back off real quick. i;ve only done it on less busy straight roads, don't wnat ot cause an accident, just a little reminder that i don't appreciate someone so close that i can only see the roof of their car..
  19. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Yeah I know, might disturb their donut break too. But it is private property, I don't think they needed a plywood delivery at a grocery store, and there is a Husky Truck Stop just up the road. Go sleep there.
  20. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

For some reason the local taxi drivers seem to think that it is a good idea to park in the middle of the lot while I'm plowing. Have to bring the blade to the front of their bumper before they move. Then they see me loading the salt spreader. F it, if your that stupid, rock salt will make some nice chips in the paint.