1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What vechiles and plow?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by dakden, Dec 7, 2011.

1. dakden

dakden Junior Member
    from Aurora,

Hi I need some suggestions, I'm looking to get a suv or small truck to plow my personal lot and a few driveways. Maybe a older bronco or blazer? Would a jeep be okay ? Is a S-10 or ranger okay?
    I would then get a smaller lightweight plow. Also need a suggestion on the plow.
    Thanks,
    Dennis

2. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Well since you're only doing yours and a couple other drives, I'd recommend a snow sport plow
    And all of the trucks you listed would be fine, except the s10

3. dakden

dakden Junior Member
    from Aurora,

Thanks for the info

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

S10 Blazers are quite popular for driveways. Very nimble.

5. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Is there a legitimate reason to not use an S-10 or are you just being a wise guy?

Older jeeps seem pretty popular for driveway machines. Tough, great traction, cheap and very short wheelbases.

6. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

There is a legitimate reason. Would you like to know it or should I just keep that iformation to myself?

7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Up to you of course, but I for one would apprecitate it if you'd share with the rest of the class.

8. gmcdan

gmcdan Senior Member

thats a pretty broad question , it depends what model and year jeep , blazer , bronco . your talking about . an older blazer isnt the same as a newer one same for jeeps and broncos. an older scout might fit your needs if you can find one. .

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  9. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

I plow with a 2000 blazer and I love it. A friend has a jeep and likes it . If it just for drives go with what you like and what fit's you.
    don't let other people tell you what you need. If you get ablazer let me know I can tell you rhe mods you will need.

I love my Z

10. lawns4life

lawns4life Member
    from mi

What would those mods be? I'm looking into getting a plow for my blazer for next winter but havent decided if it would be worth it or if it would just destroy the truck.

11. blazer2plower

A bigger alt a blazer came with a 105. I got one from a 03 suburban flex fuel. It is a bolt in and a 1" bigger belt it is a 165 amp alt.
    i took of the front bump stops off and put on bump stops from a late 90's off the rear its a direct bolt on. And the biggest battery I
    could put in with top and side mount. Thats all did

I love my Z

12. blazer2plower

I all so put new wheel hubs on the front every year. Even if they are good. I just dont want to risk it. I plow with a 24d snoway 7.5 I had to modify my mount. But my blazer is a ZR2 :)

I love my Z

13. gmcdan

gmcdan Senior Member

like i said its a broad question , for example an 85 blazer with a 305 smallblock , 700r4 tranny , 308 gears gov lock , isnt the same as a 84 blazer with a 350 smallblock , turbo 350 , 373 gears no gov lock .

i would go through a process of elimination . eliminate the 305 in fullsize , eliminate 308 gears, the gov lock , eliminate the 700r4 tranny, so on and so on . each vehicle has its bad points and good points .

14. blazer2plower

one more thing are,you looking for a full size blazer(K) or an s10 blazer stay a way from the 2.8 liter V6. If you have any questions ask me thanks.

I love my Z

15. snowbear1

snowbear1 Member

plow truck

i have 99 s-10 4x4 with a snowbear tx75 plow
    works great pushes heavy snow well it,s never let me down
    love the truck

16. Jstic

Jstic Junior Member
    from CT

There is no "legitimate" reason not to use an S-10. I've seen a few in town where I live that have plows. I use a 1999 Nissan Frontier which is a similar size truck. Use enough ballast and don't try to pretend that you can plow like a heavy duty truck can and you will be fine. I plow some pretty tight spots so the smaller truck is a blessing.

17. snowbear1

snowbear1 Member

i agree i put 4 cement blocks in the back my s-10 will go pretty much anywere
    the snowbear plow doesn't overload the front end so i've had no problems
    it's been a great truck for me

18. blazer2plower

Last year I put 350# in the back of my blazer. On church I forgot to put it in 4low and it still plowed just fine. I don't slam in to the
    snow banks. I all so take care od my Z change the oil be for it snow's and right after plowing. If something needs worked on I fix it.
    or have it fixed. it is great plower. Now with that said I am looking at a bigger truck for next year. If we ever get some snow this year.
    just so I can get bigger accounts.

I love my.Z

19. ramp

ramp Member

Well I wish I read this a little earlier. Just purchased a 2003 S10 4x4 to replace my trusty 94 Chevy Suburban with a Meyers plow. Great set up. I'm going to attach a sno way plow, we'll have to see. I do realize this will be a lighter rig.

20. snowbear1

snowbear1 Member

you should have no problems good set of tires and weight in the back you,ll be good to go
    the 4.3 in the s-10 is a strong motor should push that plow no problem
    good luck my s-10 been great