1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What V-plow on a K5?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by tjdm1980, Oct 14, 2010.

1. tjdm1980

tjdm1980 Junior Member

Hello

Is it a good idea to put a V-plow on a K5? Is it necessary to do any modifications to the truck if used for relatively light plowing (residential, small commercial lots) in Wisconsin? What's a good brand?

Thanks much,

Tom

2. Plowfixguys

Plowfixguys Senior Member

NO not a good idea,its to heavy. So unless you want to put some huge springs on it (front and rear) but then it will ride so hard your kidneys will bleed. You need a 6'8" or 7'6" mid weight.

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

A V is to much for a K5. You'd probably be ok with a normal 7.6' Straight blade.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Definitely put a V on the K-5. That will be awesome in driveways.

5. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

Omg v ok a k5 would make that the best plow rig ever. U can put a fisher xtreme V on it 7'6" will fill a half ton pickup I am sure a k5 can handle it. I wouldn't worry about it. Too much if anything u can put a lil something to help the. Spring I.e lift assist air bags. Ur only downfalls are ur axles(depending on year) and with that stubby wheel base it will pull more weight off the rear so load up

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  6. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

The biggest issue would be the front axle shafts they wouldn't handle the weight and would snap like toothpicks. The other problem is with all that weight on the front end theres a good chance you would rip the steering box off of the frame. Those are know to crack the frame in stock form with just 31" tall tires on them.

7. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i would not think twice about putting a 7'6v on the front of an old blazer!!!!

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What year is the truck?

9. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

i had an 85 k5 with gm 10 bolt axles in it and a 7.5 foot western cable operated plow lifted with 33 inch buckshots on it and i beat the absolute crapt out of it and i never had an issue with my front axle and never witt the gear box. i am not saying you will never have an issue but they are stonger than most people give em credit for. also you can buy a brace kit for those old chevy's to support the frame around the gear box

10. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

You're comparing apples to moon rocks. I had the same set up but mine had a 7.5 fisher and 33 inch BFG Mud T/A's. I ended up snapping the bolts out of the steering arm on top of the steering knuckle. You can put an 8 foot straight blade on it but, your seriously taxing the front end. The weight difference between a 7.5 straight blade and a 8.5 V plow is significant never mind the stresses. The GM 10 bolt isn't as strong as you make it out to be. I've also snapped a few carriers in the rear end with that size tire......

11. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I'd put a Boss 7'6" V on the Blazer where it is a short wheel base, and add a leaf or two up front, ballast in the rear and you should be fine. It wouldn't hurt to install a steering box brace either from Off Road Design.

12. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

id run a v. i would stick to a 7.5ft though.

13. trouble454

trouble454 Junior Member

I would put a 8.5 boss v plow on it. You will need to put an add a leaf in the front spring pack. You might want to consider putting a steering box brace on. Its also a good idea to check the ball joints and axle shaft u-joints prior to the season as they are wear points and the added strain only wears them out faster if they are marginal to begin with.
    If its new enough to have the 700R4 auto trans I wouldn't consider it all. They have a drive shell that does not like any kind of forward reverse abuse. Several harsh reverse engagements and its easy to loose reverse altogether.
    If this is a dedicated plow rig then you can always upgrade the running gear. A Dana 60 will bolt in the front, you will need the spring plates for your sway bar to work. The brake hoses and calipers are different but the right donor rig will have those pieces. If you can find a 3/4 ton will a full float rear its a direct bolt in. Shock mounts might need changed and the U-joint will need to be a conversion joint. The transmission can be changed out for a TH400. If you have the 700R4 with the NP208 the swap is pretty easy, you would need a new input shaft for the NP208 and the correct adapter for the TH400 and it bolts in with no driveline changes. You would also need the fill tube, a vacuum source and sometimes the flexplate is different for the torque converter. You would also need a passing gear switch that mounts on top of the throttle pedal and run a wire to the solenoid on the side of the trans for passing gear to work at wide open throttle.
    All in all the K-5 makes a great plow rig if the taken care of.