1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what u think

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by acornish, Nov 4, 2010.

1. acornish

acornish Senior Member

ok someone stole the snowbear--- neihbor has 7ft meyer blade and a frame--- i am thinking welding some mounts to bottom of bear mnt for blade --- then make a hoop like a meyer type out of 1" square stock-- and use a myer pump to lift ---- what u all think?

2. acornish

acornish Senior Member

no sugestions or ideas?

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Is the snowbear mount strong enough for the heavier Meyer blade?

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Don't :nono:

5. 496 BB

496 BB Senior Member

Hey why not! This looks like it would be safe to right?

[​IMG]

6. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Thats what I was thinking. Not to mention that push plates and mounts are engineered for the geometry and weight of its specific plow. Save yourself a headache and just find some used mounts for the meyers. It might not even be that bad to buy new ones. Look around. It will be worth it in the end. If you "rig" something like that you will always be worrying about it.

7. acornish

acornish Senior Member

ok found a frame mount for older ford cheap-- may get that and rework to fit gm frame -- was just curious what you guys thought-- i was figuring since snow bear mount is already there and i have an e47 pump rebuild already and plenty of scrap steele --and i have made mounts and frames in the past

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

not much compaditable between those two mounts they are as differant as night and day

9. toby4492

toby4492 2000 Club Member

10. acornish

acornish Senior Member

its old school style --remove bumper type -- figured i could make sone new mounts out of 1/4 plate to attach to frame

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Got a spare table that converts to a very uncomfortable bed in there?

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'll take the canvas hammock.

13. acornish

acornish Senior Member

ok then, asked for advise on idea -not get destroyed, I am more then capable of building a whole plow if nessasary was just gonna usr it for the pump mnt and a frame mnt part-- ive built complete western copies back in the day

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you have more knowledge of the physics and geometry associated with snow plowing, as well as more fabrication experience than most of us.

Not sure why you came to us for advice:confused:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  15. acornish

acornish Senior Member

was mostly wanting imput of what most would do in this case

16. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

I cant speak for all, but most would run a matching setup.

Course if you have the knowledge and experience to make a mount as 2cor517 implies, then go for it. Just one thing to think about, if it ever fails, and god forbid ever causes injury or property damage, whether it was done right or not expect to be responsible for it. If its only on your property thats one story. If you take it down the road thats another. Liability is a very big deal many of us think of on a daily basis. If my fisher mount fails, and was installed by a fisher dealer, well then thats their problem. If i built it its mine.

17. acornish

acornish Senior Member

ok well like i stated i only do my drive and the one next door-- 3 strait pushes about 30ft long--- and i have a rider on insurance to cover damages from plow-- even though i gave it up as a buisness back in jersey before i moved here, kept that on policy--- just dont wanna spend extra money right now on plow-- have the plow and a-frame for free (meyer 7 ft from a jeep- manual angle), and still have a meyer 47 pump from the old blazers, cant find anybody local up here with a mount that will fit truck (88 GMC 2500 -6 lug) new or used so figured i would make something for this year and maybe look in the spring-- would of loved to find another snowbear but aint payn 7 or 800 for a used one and sure aint payn 1000 for a new one since i have the meyer blade and pump figured that be better anyway but cant find a mount here and i dont trust e-bay

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

What Aframe do you have? you need to know because the aframe will determine the location of the hinge clevis. Have you looked at the available drawings for your mount or a body builders book to see where the engineers want you to attach to the frame? are you building and conventional mount for behind the bumper or a more modern version that mounts below the bumper and has a lift tower ahead of the bumper? Remember if you build and install a structure that is when involved in an accident is found to increased the amount of injures because you have limited or restricted the crumple zones you could be held responsible.

19. acornish

acornish Senior Member

original thougt was to make it like newer ez mount-- but found an old behind bumper stule i was gonna hack apart for lower mnt and pump mnt--- now thinking of just using lower mnt and making removable upper mnt kinda like the meyer hoop

20. acornish

acornish Senior Member

a-frame was a newer clasic mnt style -- rams were replaced with stuts it is also a poly plow blade