1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what types of insurance do I need?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by james.j.smith, Nov 4, 2011.

1. james.j.smith

james.j.smith Senior Member
    from 19033

I have done some searches and I am relatively new to having my own plow,. I've plowed serveral years for a guy that I went to highschool with who owns a land scaping buesness. last year was the first year that I had my truck and my buddy covered my insurance under his business. I know it wasn't the right way to do things but I was short on cash and helped him out when I had time. This year I'm trying to do things right. I have talked with several insurance agents today and I have been quoted a commerical truck policy and a 1 million general liability policy. The prices wheren't that bad it's 1397 for the truck for the year (going to change the policy to a regular policy in march since I only use the truck for plowing and trips to home depot) and 364 for the GL.

Am I doing this right? Is this all the insurance that i need? I am considered a sub contractor for his business in which he 1099s me. I do not plan to bid my own work, may do the occasional driveway if I'm stopped on the way home.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Insurance is to cover your ass not anybody else. Make sure that they do quote you commercial truck insurance and get a rider for your plow to. GL covers the slip and fall stuff so make sure you have that to and make sure it lists snowplowing on it.

3. james.j.smith

james.j.smith Senior Member
    from 19033

Thank you for the response going to get the insurance mentioned above on Monday. The gl is suppose to have snow removal on it.