1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what type plow is better steel or poly

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ED922, Oct 20, 2009.

1. ED922

ED922 Junior Member

Hi new to the site and to plowing im looking to purchase a plow for my truck and want to know what pros recomend, i will be working with a buddy that has been plowing for a few years and has asked me to help him out but am un sure on what would be the best to go with.
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Ive had both, a old Myer's ploy plow and a couple steel plows. The poly plow is going to be heavier than a steel set up. Poly will last longer (no rust) but are usually more expensive. If you ever want to get wings your going to want a steel plow unless you buy a Boss plow, I think their wings work on both steel and poly blades. Both will last for a long time if you take care of them so I guess it boils down to price. I'm assuming your talking about straight blades.
  3. ED922

ED922 Junior Member

Yes, i am talking straight blade. Im pricing them out and i got a better price on a hiniker poly then a western ultra max so that is why i thought i would ask
  4. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

The three best words of advice on plow brand selection: LOCAL DEALER SUPPORT. First do your homework on who sells and services what in your area, talk to local guys to get their feedback on who is good to deal with. Second, talk with the dealers in your area and get their recommendations for what is right for you and your truck. Third, do more homework to make sure you get what you will want and need. Then, and only then make an educated purchase. Without good or great local dealer support, the best plow on the planet won't help you if something happens in blizzard conditions, at 2am on a Sunday.
  5. nekos

nekos Senior Member

That's not entirely true... At least it isn't when you have a 24/7 mechanic and heated garage stocked with parts. :cool:

(side note)
    It's my bosses mechanic and garage but i can use them both when ever i want. :D
  6. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

The thing about no wings on poly blades isn't always true. I know Western makes wings for their poly blades.
  7. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I completely agree with this :drinkup:
  8. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have never used a poly blade. I heard from a few people that they will crack, but I never seen a cracked one. I personaly would never buy one, becouse I like steel blades and I don't want to take a chance on buying a plow that could crack.
  9. Premier

Premier Senior Member

I have ran both steel and poly, the olny problem that i ever had with the poly was our sno way skid loader plow, i droped a ramp on in and it cracked, it held up for 2 more storms before i replaced it. I just ordered a new boss 9.2 XT poly. had a boss a few years back that was a poly and loved it. poly is the way to go IMO if your going to have the plow for awhile.
  10. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

I saw someone plow loose rock with a poly before, gouged and scratched like hell but no real damage, seemed to hold up well,,,and dont even ask why they were plowing rock. But I agree, no rust on the moldboard, saves alot of time as far as regular upkeep, unless you like the hobby of working on stuff. I also agree delaer support is the ultimate decision making factor by miles.
  11. ED922

ED922 Junior Member

thank you for all your imput it has hepled i will do a little more research before i make my purchase and talk with a few more dealres in my area.