1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what type of tailgate spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by atasteofnature, Jan 2, 2009.

1. atasteofnature

atasteofnature Junior Member

I have been wanting to invest in a tailgate spreader and was thinking of buying one that is a hopper. I did see yesterday a company who had a dump bed insert and had a spreader on the back if they dump the bed it spreads through the spreader using the bed as a hopper. Sorry if I am sounding new because I am. I didn't know if there was much difference in cost between the two. I understand the one doesn't work unless you have a dump bed. Does the one with the dump bed allow you to have a larger capacity then you can get with the bins? Thank you everyone for your time.

2. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Ok if I got you right..

First you were considering a tailgate style spreader. I recommend Air-flo mss. Stainless steel, they are strong throw well, and well we never had a problem with ours.

The thing you saw, is called a dump insert. It's a dump box for a pickup truck. Most of them you can take the dump inserts tailgate off and put a replacement tailgate spreader on. We run a downeaster dump insert and tailgate spreader. And I love it. I still need to put a speed control on, for salting run off, or a couple lane ways, where full spread just throws to far. The advantage to the dump insert is you might have a need for it in the summer, if you move stuff with your pickup. We bought it cause we wanted a lower profile salter, but still hold the 2 tons. We have to much work to doing a tailgate and loading by hand.

If you have a decent amount of salting, something you don't have to load by hand might be worth looking into. If you it's not alot of salting, a tailgate salter will always be cheaper to run.

as for capacity, well tailgate your loading salt into the back of your truck, to be hand loaded into salter, you might be able to put more salt in the truck, then you would when the dump insert takes up room and weight. but hand loading and salting is a slower process.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  3. atasteofnature

So if I were to have a dump insert or an actual dump truck already then I would just need to purchase the spreader tailgate. i am looking into a dump insert for dirt, grass, mulch, etc. When i saw that company the other day it just went along with my idea of buying a dump insert and seemed easier like you said. Not to load by hand. Who makes those tailgate spreaders? How much do they run? Thank you for your time Bruce.

4. fortydegnorth

fortydegnorth Senior Member

Dump inserts with spreaders are great, but remember if you carry a snow blower or shovel it has to go in the insert also. You will need to raise the bed and dump the salt to the back in order for the spreader to have a steady flow. We have a Maxi-dump insert and run a v-box in it which allows for enough room for a shovel and gas. We made a special mount to hold the snow blower. We do not dump the insert to spread salt since it is a v-box. I personally think it comes down to bag or bulk salt. If you plan to run bagged salt just get a tailgate spreader. If you run bulk use either an insert or v-box. A tailgate spreader will run bulk but you will need a vibrator kit to get the salt to flow due to the extra moisture content of the salt. If you run less than 1 ton of salt per treatment don't even consider anything but a tailgate and bagged salt, just not worth the effort. We only use 5-6 tons per salt but we're too lazy to use tailgate spreaders!

5. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

What would be the best option for low budget company doing residentials?

6. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

You don't need a vibrator kit if you have a good bulk salt dealer that does let his salt sit in the snow., we ran tons and tons of salt in our mss tailgate spreaders, and never once need a vibrator. And even at 1 ton, I wouldn't go bagged, to expensive, that way.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  7. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Well for a actual dump truck you looking more for an underneath spreader, not a replacement tailgate.

As for dump insert, yes a tailgate replacement spreader, Downeaster makes a good one, People also recomment truckcraft. I'm not aware of any others, but likely their are.

8. Bruce'sEx

Bruce'sEx Senior Member

Well the cheaper to get going is a tailgate spreader, low maintanence too, and easy to store.

However you have to consider when it comes to dump inserts, will it save you time and money in the summer, as well as the winter. They are year round things. tailgate spreader are generally winter one, think some people use them to spread sand or mulch. We don't to lawn care or landscaping in the summer just excavations, so I don't know much about what people get away with in a spreader in the summer. I would say 90% use tailgate spreader in winter and thats all.

9. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

low budget residentials? Hand salt or fertilizer

10. atasteofnature

Thank you everyone for the help.