1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What type of Strobes?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by Chevyboy, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Chevyboy

Chevyboy Member

I am looking to get into the snowplowing business. I now own a 1999 Chevy Silverado 2500. I was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions on what type of lighting to add to my truck.
    I am looking in to the 6 HAW strobes, and the Whelen slimlighter Ultra, and the Wacker 4 Bulb LED's. Good choices??? :dizzy:

2. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

Good choices, just make sure you have the plow first, all the lights are useless without one :jester:

3. JeepPlow18

JeepPlow18 Senior Member

True haha. I have whelen in my truck with the white bulbs (4) one in each corner. In the front put it either in the running lights or the headlight, mines in the running light ( blinker) and I like the system a lot. As for amber im satisfied with highlighter products. Hope this helps you, Mike

4. Fiafighterdude

Fiafighterdude Senior Member
    from ME

i say the same as blue line

5. Chevyboy

Chevyboy Member

Oh dont worry, I have a brand new 8' Boss plow on the way. I am going to be looking at getting some add on wings also

6. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Did you consider a lightbar? Less wiring, can have 2 or 4 takedowns in the rear, visibilty all around. probally less expensive in the long run. Just my $.02

7. Chevyboy

Chevyboy Member

No i really havent considered a light bar. I am trying to keep the truck kind of a as is situation. I mean light bars are good dont get me wrong but im looking into keeping the lights hidden that i put on. But thanks for the info!~!!!!!

8. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

i wouldnt suggest any dash/deck lights b/c at night they drive you nuts and also your plow lights will block the flash from the windshield. your better off with roof mounted lightbars and tail light flashers.

9. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

I like your choice, but you can not beat the visibility of light on the roof of your truck. I have a magnetic mount LED mini that I put a plug on to remove it. It also plugs into the cig. lighter. I like less wires, less wires = less amp draw.

10. Chevyboy

Chevyboy Member

I guess ill have to do some digging in on the light bars. I like rjfetz1's idea on the cordless idea. That sounds like a better route. But im up for either or right now. Just trying to get some idea's!! Thanks guys

11. Chevyboy

Chevyboy Member

I was kind of leaning towards the forum((Stroker79)) My New 90 Watt 4 Head Whelen Hideaways) his video of the lights in the grill and the light in the back window. What do you guys think??

12. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

The hideaways look great,I am going to put them in my personal truck because I always end up workin by the raod in the summer. but before you order them up I would get the price youre gonna spend and check out what kind of mini lightbar you could buy for the money. There are some real nice lookin light bars out there, and they really throw out the light.

13. Chevyboy

Chevyboy Member

Hey pwrstroke6john,
    What type of hideaways where you looking at buying??

14. pwrstroke6john

pwrstroke6john Senior Member

I am alost set on the 90watt whelen hidaway, with 4 amber heads. I would like to get the new whelen led hideaways,but I cant find them forsale and im sure the price is outrageous.

http://www.strobesnmore.com/product_info.php?cPath=7&products_id=739 That is the set and is the best price I have found so far.

15. BlueLine Ent

BlueLine Ent Senior Member

16. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

go with e 4 head hideaways. Loose the dashlights and get a magnet/vaccum mount mini bar and throw it on top before a storm.

17. Chevyboy

Chevyboy Member

Thanks for the idea's I am looking into all of the lights now LOL
    Still doing the SNOW DANCE purplebou