1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what type of spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by snoluvr, Jan 30, 2004.

1. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I posted a thread on a Ice-O-Way spreader and only received one reply.I have a F-250 super duty with short bed. I am undecided on what to buy for a spreader. I have two large commercial lots. They require sanding a minimum of twice per storm. I also have about 12 other commercial places, with large driveways, usually half circle about 200' end to end. What do you all think? Tailgate spreader or V-Box? thanks

2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

If you have the equipment and storage area with that many sites to do I would go with a V box spreader. More profits. Where abouts is Exeter RI. how far from Boston would that be?

3. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

type of sander

I am just outside of Providence, which is a half hour from Boston. I have been contracting out this work, but the guy I have is unreliable, and old equipment.

4. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

You dont say how big these lots are so the decision is much tougher to guess, however there are alot of other factors that must be considered with regards to the vee box.

1. Access to bulk salt? Can you store and load your own salt or do you have to rely on someone else to handle this for you. Bulk is way cheaper till you factor in the costs of handling and storing this material for yourself.

2. If you dont use all the salt and dont have your own stockpile, what you gonna do with whats left in the box? Leaving it theres not an option as it will freeze tight. Do you have a heated garage to keep this in.

3. Does the size and amount of work you have justify a v box? I have a Fisher SC 2 and with 2 fillups can cover my biggest lots. I use bulk when I can get but cant handle it myself so left to the whims of my dealer.

4. Off-season storage area. V boxes take up alot of room and leaving them in the weather isnt the best option. Tailgate spreader not much bigger then a lawnmower in the garage.

5. Maintenance. Tailgates are all electrical so they motors require almost no maintenance other to keep clean and greased. V boxes require additional attention to keep in top performance.

6. Do you like you truck? All that bulk salt that doesnt land in your v box lands in the bed of the truck. Its gonna eat thru that bed in a hurry cause its difficult to get that salt out once its in there.

Answer these and you may be closer to having an answer of whats right for you.

5. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

snoluvr:

Your in Pathfinder country. Do you know anybody that has a Pathfinder dump insert and spreader. I'm looking to get user opinion on this. Appreciate any help you can give. Thanks. Dave.

6. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

type of spreader

Thanks for all the valuble info. I do have indoor heated bays where everything from the mower to the trailer and truck are stored. I have been looking into the speedcaster 2.I just noticed they retail for $1995. here. for a few hundred more I could get into a v-Box, but like you said, a lot more to consider. What luck have you and anyone else had with the speedcaster? Also, did you install it or have the dealer install? They want $350 to install from my dealer.thanks

7. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

Thanks for the info. I am getting a Speedcaster 2 installed Friday morning. Hopefully in time for the storm over the weekend. Does anyone else have anything to say regarding this spreader? any info would be appreciated.

8. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Sno,

Ive had a speedcaster 2 on my dump truck since 2000 and thank my dealer each and every time I stop in there. Just had a fisher 1000 installed on my pickup last week cause I believe in the products fisher sells.

As far as the speedcaster 2 it is pretty much bullet proof provide you wash it out after each use, grease the 5 or 6 zerk fittings after you wash it, and make sure you put it away clean at the end of the season. In four years I have never had a problem with the machine and the only part I have ever purchased was the plastic idler pulley earlier this season, cause the rust prevented it from spinning. Everything else is as it was the day it was installed.

Two suggestions. One get a swing away gate installed so that you can load salt without having to remove the spreader or handle the bags. And two, spend the money for the variable speed controller, as you'll have better control of the materials particularly on driveways or drivethrus to keep the material on the lot and not in the grass.

Always, Always make sure you empty the spreader before shutting down for the night as it can freeze up in the hopper. And two, keep the cover on the spreader until you start using it, then just toss it behind the seat during the event, and recover after you wash it out. No need to cover it from job to job.

9. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

Thanks CMerLand,

Everyone I talk to seems to like it. I didn't realize they have been out that long. The dealer is trying to tell me not to buy the variable speed control. He claims you just need to reduce the opening of the chute. I do some parkinglots, but also a bunch of commercial type places with normal driveways, and I also dont want 30 pounds of sand in the grass come spring time. Is the unit fairly easy to put on and off? do you use bagged material or bulk. Thanks again for the info

10. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Sno,

Yea its true you can vary the size of the chute out the back but who the hell wants to do that at each lot???? Gonna get out to close it up for the driveway entrance then get back out to open it wide for the parking areas??? With the vary I spin it down to 4 for the drives and up to 10 for the lots. Smooth and easy. I maybe move those adjusters twice a season as the controller does the job. The fisher 1000 doesnt have the adjustable chutes standard ( I think its an option) but not needed with the vary controller.

I use bulk salt when I can get it and know that I'll use it up by the end of the storm. I dont store it myself as I dont have a loader, but my vendor is about 4 blocks from my house. The couple times Ive kept salt overnight we had it freeze up across the top and then had to bust up the chunks. I also dont want bulk sitting in the back of the dump as you should see how this stuff chews thru the bed. When I get a chance to wash out the bed, you can see the steel peeling off the bed. Most of the time I use bagged tho.

As far as handling the unit, it is definately a two man job due to weight and bulkiness. My dealer custom makes their own mounting brackets to carry the spreaders. For the speedcaster its just a bracket that hangs/ bolts on the dump tailgate and has to be removed so we can have the pallets loaded in. Really need to consider changing to a swing away, as I dont always have the extra hands to get it off when I need too.

The swing away kit for the 1000 is a custom made hitch mount as the Fisher kits arent all that strong (their words not mine). Could carry the speedcaster if I had them install that instead of the 1000.

IF they can get you a swing away kit, you may want to order yourself their (my dealers bracket) mouting kits cause loading salt or snowblowers over the side of the truck is not going to be fun. Best of luck with the unit. Any more questions let me know.

CMerLand

11. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

Speedcaster-2

Well, I picked up my speedcaster 2 today.I was scheduled for installation tomorrow, but heard a storm was coming. Now I see why it is $300 to install it!! Advice to anyone..Unless you have three friends and a whole day, pay the $300. some parts didnt exactly line up with the install. Overall though, once it was one I was very happy.Only played with it today to get a feel for it. Ran one hopper thru it. Definately seems like I made the right choice. Snow and ice this weekend. Will let everyone know how it works.

12. CMerLand

CMerLand Senior Member

Sno,

Did you end up getting the vary or did you go with the on/off switch? How about the swing away gate?

Im with you on paying the $ 300 to get the dealer to install it. They do it all day every day and know the tricks of the trade whereas we gotta learn it all ourselves, and then only have ourselves to blame if it dont work right. Youll be happy with Speedcaster and looks like you might get to use it after all this weekend.

13. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

It seems like some of the plow dealers don't take out the whole labor amouth when they quote an uninstalled price. I just got quoted a price for a plow. I asked how much if I did the install. $100 less?? I like to do the installs myself so when something goes wrong I already know where everything is.

14. snoluvr

snoluvr Senior Member
    from RI

I just wanted to know, if anyone has any problems with the speedcaster 2. I have used mine for a few days, and noticed that the belt keeps coming loose. Also it only spreads sand about 10 feet if I am lucky. I had to tighten the belt twice already due to feeding problems, and I notice that it throws sand about 8 feet to the left of the unit, but not on the right side of the truck.any ideas??