1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What type of rig do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JCPM, Aug 29, 2009.

1. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

I've always wondered what other guys prefered to plow with;
    A pickup w/ better comfort & visibility
    OR a dump truck w/ a larger plow & sanding capabilities?

When I had three employees in the Winter's past I always took the dump truck so that I could manage the salting and they took the pickups. While we were always efficient I wished I had someone more reliable to run the dump truck so i could get myself a nice pickup.

Just wondering what other guys did.
  2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Definitely prefer the pickup. I plowed for a friend for a couple years with his F-350 dump. Visibility was the worst thing. It had nice mirrors, and I have no problems backing up trailers with mirrors. The blind spots were about 3 o'clock to 5 o'clock, and 7 to 9. Used to come home with a sore abdomen/groin after 12 hours of plowing. Finally figured out it was from leaning forward to try to see.
  3. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I learned to plow with a F550 Dump and I hated it at first but after a few storms I got used to it. However last year I plowed with a pickup and I find it much easier to plow with a pickup.
  4. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

we have a 1 ton dump with a sander, a ext cab long box and a reg cab and I would always go with the reg cab. Yeah there all very nice, but just the visability out of that one is so much better. Of course out of everything the payloader is the best. You can see everything up there!
  5. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Every tool has its benifits and drawbacks. Just find the one that fits your situation.
  6. Dubliner

Dubliner Senior Member

In big storms I like the one ton for shear pushing ability, small storms I prefer the pick up, faster to plow with, more visability and faster in reverse for parking lots. LOL :p
  7. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I've had both, both have their place, I dont really prefer one over the other, but once you get used to a dump or flatbed its just like driving a truck in my opinion. I have two cameras on my f450 flatbed, one at the back so i can see the spread pattern and liquid spray, the other on the pass. side to cruise close to walls, curbs, etc... with the camera in the back i can get within 6" to a building without using mirrors, its nice once you get used to it
  8. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

How many of you have had employees crush spreader shutes from backing into them? Happened twice last year when I didn't opt to take my dumptruck.

I sold my 97' F350 which was my beater truck. I want to replace it with either an F550 or an F350 extened cab. I hope I can finish the mowing season strong so i have some downpayment money.
  9. KJ Cramer

KJ Cramer Senior Member

Where did you get and how did you mount those cameras and is it easily removed or always there, what about the screen also?
  10. deicepro

I bought from a small diesel mechanic, they mount fixed but are tiltable, have a wide view, great picture on the 7" color screen, got the screen mounted on the top of dash left of steering wheel tight to pillar, the cameras are fairly small and are mounted out of the way so as not to walk into them, salt and waterproof, I will try to upload a picture of the system and the brand
  11. A friend of mine is trying to become a dealer for a company that sells wireless wideview cameras for back up cameras loader mounts etc he wants me to try a setup this winter if they work out I
    'll start a thread with contact info sounds cool anyways
  12. deicepro

I'm sure the brand of camera was Cabcam.
  13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't need employees to do that, I can do it all by myself.

I had a buddy build a "bumper" for me two years ago. Just a tee made of 1/4" wall 2" square tube. Slide into the reese, and it helps protect the spinner/chute. Also had him weld a small plate at the intersection with a 1" hole for the tow rope. Used it many times. Actually bent the center piece pulling a F350 powerstroke with a freighted sander. Must have pulled him 150 feet before he could get back up on the driveway. I lost the bumper under the snow somehow last year about Feb and didn't find it till spring.
  14. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

That sounds cool. Can you post some pics of that once the snow starts flying?
  15. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

As for the original topic, it's a dumper for me. Use what I have. I enjoy seeing the curvature of the earth from the driver's seat.
  16. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

It all depends on what tipe of area I'm plowing. If I'm plowing drive ways or parking lots I like to use a truck. When you are plowing you roads you got to have a dump truck with a plow, wing, and sander IMO. I don't plow any roads so I just use my truck. When ever my uncle gets an opening for a driver to plow roads I'm going to go plow for him.
  17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Will do. Try to get it this week.
  18. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I prefer pickups but a dump is nice to have for the big lots.
  19. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

you got the wrong guy operating that truck then. we have a few 6-wheel dumps with salters and have never, ever (knock on wood) someone crush a chute.
  20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Well, I crushed my own chute, all by myself. Running a 6 wheel dump in parking areas or roads is completely different that trying to do tight driveways with a Ext Cab Long Bed pickup.