1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What type of programmer to get???

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by DCS MN, Feb 24, 2009.

1. DCS MN

DCS MN Senior Member

I have an '02 7.3 powrstroker and am looking to add some easy HP. I already have a Hypertech but its not enough.
    I want to know what everybody else has and what type of luck they are having with it.
    Bully Dog, Banks, Edge Juice, DP, ETC.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated, if I should do anything else to this truck when I get one of these programmers. I have put the 6.0 intercooler in already and the tranny will be getting pulled and built after the snow ends
  2. Surfdunn

Surfdunn Member

3. sparksrides

sparksrides Senior Member

I just sent a ts 6 pos chip to tony wildman to have it reprogramed form what i hear on power stroke nation they are one of the best chips for our 7.3 I think its totaldieselperformance.com also check out powerstrokenation.com when I get my chip back this week i will let you know how it performs

01SMOKINSD Junior Member

I just put a TS Performance chip in my truck. Night and day difference from my old superchips programmer. i picked it up on ebay from a distributor for about $250 which is over a hundred dollars less that what i paid for the superchips. Well worth the money.
  5. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

You are right about "canned " programmers. From my experience they just dont measure up to a custom tune.

A couple very important thing to consider before moving into a custom tune-

***GAUGES- Exhaust temp and transmission temp are an absolute must. You must know what is happening in these systems.

***Exhaust system- Engines are air pumps. They require more air in to make more power, thus, have to get the air out as efficiently as possible.

***Intake- Air in as efficiently as possible.

Call Jody at DP-Tuner. He sets up your chip for safe, and reliable power. Tony Wildman is another option. Both very good. Jody has an 80 HP economy tune that should put you over 20+MPG HWY, and have tons of fun HP!

PM me for more info is necessary. The 7.3 has amazing fuel economy and power potential that without a custom tune you will not fully realize.
  6. veggin psd

veggin psd Senior Member

DCS MN

Pm me you phone # and I give you a shout. You cannot recieve PM's yet so give me your # and I'll call you
  7. Ggg6

Ggg6 Senior Member
    from IL

An 02 7.2 has PM rods, I wouldn't go too wild with the extra power. Power hungry Performance, DP tuner, T. Wildman, Dieselinnovations are the guys I would recommend. TS used to be good but once the 6.0 was so much as a rumor he completely stopped doing any more 7.3 R&D so his programs are quite old.