1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Type Of Plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MARKMWJ, Nov 11, 2001.

1. MARKMWJ

MARKMWJ Junior Member

I HAVE A 99 F-350 4X4 PS CREW CAB. WITH 125,000 MI . IM LOKING FOR A PLOW. BOSS? WESTERN? ??? 8.6 9.6? V OR STRIGHT. IM LEANING TWORDS A BOSS 8.6 STRIGHT

ONE LOT IS 1200 PARKING SPACES LONG AND STRIGHT
    SECOND ONE IS 130 SPACES SQUARE
    AND THIRD IS A STRIP MALL 260 SPACES TWO SECTIONS:confused:

2. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

Mark,

Get a V, I don't think you'd regret it:D

Remember, dealer support is almost as important as the plow itself. No point in getting something your not going to be able to get parts for in the middle of a storm or say 2 AM;)

Greg

3. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Mark, Dockboy is right, if you can, get the v-plow from the nearest dealer. You have large enough areas to plow that the v will save time and eventually money. If you go staight blade you may want a 9 footer to cover your (very) long wheelbase.

4. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Please don't shout at us...................

...........................posting in all-caps is the keyboard way of saying you're SHOUTING at us! :eek:

With that out of the way, welcome to Plowsite Mark, the V is more $$$ up front but will pay off in productivity. As JD mentioned, if you do decide on a straight blade then you'll want the 9' since your truck is l-o-n-g.

Both Boss and Western make good plows, so the final decision on brand is mostly a matter of personal preference and dealer location/support.

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Get the V

Geoff

6. BOSS Adam

BOSS Adam Senior Member

go with the V it pays off in the long run.

Adam

7. Camaro SS Mike

Camaro SS Mike Junior Member
    from NJ

why is everyone saying get the 9' plow cause of the LENGTH of his truck? what does the length of the truck have to do with what size plow you put on it? i always thought you put a bigger plow on a truck to cover the back wheels. what i mean is a DRW gets a bigger plow than SRW. like an f350 with dual rear wheels has to get a bigger plow than a single rear wheel f350,even though they both can take the same amount of weight up front. i was just wondering why the length of the truck mattered???
    Mike

8. JD PLOWER

Mike it has to do with wheelbase. If you have a crewcab that is roughly two feet longer than a standard pickup you will need a wider plow. When you turn the wheel your back tires will ride in the snow and not on the path you just cleared if the plow is too narrow.

9. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

JD's right - the length of the truck affects the turning radius.

Even a 7.5' blade will probably j-u-s-t clear the track width on a SRW full size truck - going straight ahead - but on any kind of turn or curve the rear wheels will be running in the unplowed snow.

Bigger the turning radius of the truck, bigger the plow has to be to clear enough so the rear wheels stay on the cleared path. And a crewcab Ford has a b-i-g turning radius!

10. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Is that a typo or do you have a 99 truck with 125,000 miles??? That is a lot of miles in a short time. I would say V but you may run into warranty issues. The truck can hanlde it though. Same with a 9ft.

11. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 PlowSite.com Addict

I would opt for a V-plow as well.... BUT, I would double check the front GAWR for your truck. If I understand it correctly, you have a PowerStroke, Crew Cab... long-bed? There's a whole lotta weight on the front of that thing already... be careful how much plow you put on it.

That aside... I would definately go for the wider v-plow. You'll be very happy with it.

Tim

12. Camaro SS Mike

Camaro SS Mike Junior Member
    from NJ

i never thought of it that way!! i knew there had to be a reason i was missing. thanks guys!! Mike

13. litle green guy

litle green guy Senior Member

I'd go with a Blizzard plow. the only problem might be with the blizzard is that it's pretty heavy. The blizzard works great for parking lots though.

14. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Warranty issues at 125,000 miles?

9.2 or 9.6 V is the way to go.

15. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

That is why I was questioning the mileage. I get extended warranties for years but not that many miles. I was just making sure he had that many miles on the truck.

If so I would think he may want to do some front end service before doing any plowing.

16. MARKMWJ

MARKMWJ Junior Member

SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS BUT ITS EAISER TO DO

WOW THANKS FOR ALL THE INPUT ITS GREAT HELP...
    THIS SITE IS GREAT, I NEVER EXPECTED THE RESPONCE

YA THERE IS 125000 ON HER SHES BEEN PRETTY GOOD TO ME.
    THE WARNTY WAS UP AT 100000

ILL KEEP YA POSTED

Last edited: Nov 12, 2001
  17. MARKMWJ

MARKMWJ Junior Member

ITS A SHORT BED..

WHAT ABOUT THE V TRIPING VS THE STRIGHT??
    IVE HEARD THAT THE V WILL RATTLE YOUR FILLINGS OUT OF OUR TEETH WHEN YOU WACK SOMETHING.
    AND THE STRIGHT IS LESS FORGIVING?

THE ONE LOT IS IN PRETTY GOOD SHAPE.
    THE OTHER TWO LOTS HAVE A LOT OF ALIGATER CRACKS AND FEW POT HOLES

18. MARKMWJ

MARKMWJ Junior Member

Well my boss made up his mind on this matter.

looks like Im going with the 9.0 stright boss
    on my 99 F-350 4x4 power stroke crew cab short bed

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

19. JD PLOWER

That plow should work out fine for you. Glad to see your getting the 9 footer at least. I don't know if this availible yet but my personal preference is for the trip edge as opposed to the trip blade for any plow, but this may not be a choice in all markets.

BTW is your boss paying for this plow? I figure he must be if he gets to choose the plow that goes on YOUR truck.
    :confused:

20. MARKMWJ

MARKMWJ Junior Member

Not a bad deal egh?

quick question. buddy of mine said when he plows he is in 4 low?? that dont seem right or is it?
    But he drives like a mad man on the lot. 20-30mph so he can roost the snow over (no cars in the lot of corse)