1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What type of plow do I need?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by let it snow!, Sep 17, 2011.

1. let it snow!

let it snow! Junior Member

Hi,
    I'm new to plowing, I have owned trucks but never with plows. I need something to plow my driveway and maybe do a little plowing on the side. I am looking to buy a '94 F-250 with the mount and truck side wiring already installed. What else would I need? I know the mount is for a Western. Will any western fit on the mount or do I need to be more specific?

Thanks

2. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

you need to see if it is a unimount or ultra mount... odds are in a unimount. I have a 95 f250 with a western unimount 7.6 proplow and really like it.

3. let it snow!

If it is a unimount, how can I know for sure? What's the difference by looking at the mounts? Also, what is it going to cost me to get the rest of the plow?

4. Andy96XLT

Andy96XLT Senior Member

an ultra mount really only has runners that are exposed on the truck on both sides. The unimount has a couple of massive bars that you'll see under the entire front. if you google unimount pics and than ultramount you'll see a very distinct difference. As for cost, im not too sure as your're in a completely different area than me. rough estimate though, you just need the A frame, pump, and moldboard... maybe 800-1000 or so... A lot of people sell just the "plow side" of things and not the "truck side" so you are ahead of the game by having the truck side mounts.

I bought my plow complete on craigslist with the mount, wiring, and control for $1200 if that helps you at all.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I'd guess the truck will have either a conventional or uni-mount, probably uni-mount Western released the uni mount in 94 so the conventional could have been installed on it if it was install when the truck was new.

Do the lights and pump stay on the truck when the plow is removed?

6. let it snow!

No lights or pump. It sounds like the plow that was on it last was newer but the truck has had a plow on it it's whole life.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Electrically, does it have relays or an "isolation module"? are there two steel "links" hanging down the front? how many plugs does the plow harness have.

8. let it snow!

I'm not sure. I may be going to take a test drive soon, I'll take a look.

9. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Take pictures while you are there.

10. let it snow!

Good idea. By the way, what is a conventional plow? Will a unimount not work on a conventional mount? Are they quite a bit less common?