1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what type of Paint?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by LawnInOrder, Jan 2, 2007.

1. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder Junior Member

I plan on red painting my western plow. After i sand it down?(or shoudl it be beadlasted/sandblasted) what type of primer and paint should i use. I woudl think some paints would cause the snow to stick and chip easliy. Thanks LawnInOrder

2. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

wire brush it with a grinder and paint it Case red from tractor supply

3. LawnInOrder

LawnInOrder Junior Member

how many coats and do i need to use primer? Thanks in advance LawnInOrder

4. Donny O.

Donny O. Senior Member

knock the lose paint, rust off and put some rustoleum on it. it's made to go right on bare metal and protect from rust.......no primer needed and it's tough!!

5. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

we just painted a plow at work...we wire brushed it and sprayed it on with a spray gun...2 coats it took with no primer...well we actually used primer on the front and ran out so no primer on the back...the paint with primer was a little smoother but not too noticable...we used Rustoleum sunburst yellow...it turned out really nice