1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What type of mount?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by nevert, Sep 18, 2015.

1. nevert

nevert Junior Member

So I'm new to plows and I recently bought this off CL. The plow is in good shape, its a 8'0 Pro Plow model # 60390.

The Issue I have with this is that all the documents that I have that support this plow, doesn't show what the correct mount or thrust bracket looks like, and doesn't specify what that model number is.

I am obviously missing parts to mount the frame onto the truck, but I am unable to find the part #'s that I need for the mount to order.

Just by looking at the mount and thrust frame can you tell me weather or not its the correct one, a model #, or were I can go as a resource to get this plow up and running?

IMG_1583.JPG

IMG_1580.JPG

IMG_1584.JPG

IMG_1583.JPG

IMG_1580.JPG

IMG_1584.JPG

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

The mounts are not plow specific. Asking what parts your missing is moot due to the fact that you didn't say what truck that mount is supposed to fit.
    It's a unimount plow, and western stopped production awhile ago. Brand new is gunna be almost impossible. Used is the best option.
    Western plows .com. library,

3. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

in your first two pictures you show truck side mounts - were those sold to you along with the plow in the third picture? I ask because those appear to be truckside mounts for a conventional setup (lift frame, pump, lights stay on truck, only blade comes off), whereas the plow you picture is a unimount (lift frame, pump, lights, and blade all come off the truck together).

so if you were sold everything you picture together and the seller claimed they are from the same setup, then he is either mistaken or lied to you.

and as mentioned, we can't be much help unless we know what year/make/model truck you are trying to put this on. it would also be helpful to know where those truckside mounts came from and what the seller claimed they fit. they look extremely similar to the conventional setup on my 1996 ford f350 - and yes you are correct in saying parts are missing.

4. nevert

nevert Junior Member

They are for my 95 ford f250, the seller said they came off a 96 ford f250. It looks like to me that Im missing a spreader bar for the truck mount and mutiple other peices. If this was off a convention setup, could it be retro's to the unimount plow?

5. dieselss

Try westerns website like I said. It'll give you the mounting diagram

6. nevert

nevert Junior Member

The only thing I have found so far is the 60390 documents for the blade, and then a conventional document showing something faintly resembling my truck mount. Like linckeil said, Im pretty sure they are for two separate setups (one unimount one conventional with lift frame).

With all of that said, It looks like I can get the mount onto the truck if I order parts or fab up, but I will still be missing a spreader bar for the unimunt plow in which i might be able to fab up as well.

7. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

anything is possible with enough time, money, and effort - but converting a conventional truckside frame to work with a unimount is not something I would suggest. I would look for the correct 92-97 F250/F350 truckside unimount frame. don't forget you also need all the truckside wiring/controls as well if you didn't get them.

here's 92-97 F250/F350 conventional truckside mount:
    http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/13585_13593_092891.pdf

here's 92-97 F250/F350 unimount truckside mount:
    http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdffiles/13601_120196.pdf

8. nevert

nevert Junior Member

9. nevert

nevert Junior Member

If i got the conventional mounted with the thrust frame, and spreader... could I just fab up a link arm lug to fit the 60390 plow?

10. dieselss

Still won't work with a conventional mount, the distances are different.
    Still would be easier to find a unimount truckside.

11. nevert

nevert Junior Member

I think your your right, i should just find the right tool for the job. Thanks for all your help folks !

12. MLG

MLG Senior Member
    from WI

I agree ...look for a Uni-mount frame for your truck. I bought a Uni-mount frame off C/L for my older chevy a few years back for $125. When I was looking, I seemed to see a lot more for Fords and Dodges. They're out there. I'd start looking now for wiring harnesses. You 'might' find a used system on Ebay or C/L for cheap. New ones are not cheap, but you'll know they will be in good condition. Inspect the pins in the molded ends on a used harness because they can become corroded.

The other option to consider if you have good fabrication skills, is to just make a truck-side uni-mount frame. They're not that complex and truthfully, it doesn't even have to 'look' like the original Western unit did -- only need to have the plow-side mounts in the right location. You can even improve on Western's design and spread the load out under your truck's frame better than Western did. The truck-side mounts are very heavy (in weight), there is a lot of opportunity to re-engineer and make a mount that works for you. I've made a couple snow plow mounts for vehicles and it's not that hard and (for me anyway) very satisfying. Now would be the time to invest in a harbor freight plasma cutter and you can whip a mount together pretty quickly. But if you can find a mount for $200 or so, that would be a lot easier. If you see a truck driving around with a uni-mount frame on it, ask the owner to look at it and take some pictures and measurements if you want to fab one up.

Also, call some salvage yards in your area too. They may have truck-side mounts ...and who knows, maybe some wiring too.

Here is a guy selling a truck-side mount for a 94 F250 for $250: http://appleton.craigslist.org/pts/5245046019.html

BTW, I found this add off C/L where a guy will make a mount for ya: http://appleton.craigslist.org/pts/5252500062.html. Ph number: (815) 670-1010.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015