1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What type of markers on resi driveways?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mkwl, Nov 12, 2007.

1. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

For those of you who plow high end resi drives and mark them- what kind of markers do you use? I was originally thinking of the ferring strips with painted ends, but then thought these people might not want them since they're kind of ugly. Anyone know of anywhere to get plain orange or lime sticks like 4' or so high w/o reflectie tape inexpensively? I need about 50 of them, and don't really feel like spending $1.79+ each.

Anyone?

2. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

angelos-supplies.com - they have a cost effective fiberglass stake, like .50 each. They're only 1/4 or 5/16 thick but they work and look neater.

3. frndinalowplace

frndinalowplace Senior Member
    from 7hills

All of mine are wood stakes. Usually 1 1/2x1 1/2 The tops painted red. They look really good and I have no problem seeing them in heavy storms. I could see those thin fiberglass stakes being an issue in heavy, low visibility storms. Plus mine were all FREE!!!

4. Novi plow boy

Novi plow boy Member

I bouth mine from J-Thomas. I paid like .30 a piece they are 2 feet tall and work really good. I went to their store but you can get them from their website at J-Thomas.com

5. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Ipay close to 4 bucks for mine...but there the ones with the reflectors on them.

6. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

I have about 2500 stakes - with the wood ones we'd get maybe 40% back that were usable, I'm also in construction and can use them in the off season but a few years ago I started buying the Angelos ones, they are the cheapest at 4' long and we get 80-90% back that are usable.. Visibility is a bit harder cause they're so thin but 4' tall is nice cause you can see them over the hood and close by.

For me, 2500 times the $.45 was better than 2500 times the $1.50 for the reflective ones.

Also, I feel better when I see the neighborhood kids sword fighting with my cheap stakes.........

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

I get mine from fiberglass-innovations, the 1/4" 4' reflective with metal cap. Honestly, if you just charge a customer a little more (Don't itemize it) it shouldn't matter what the cost is.

marking stakes is like plow type, everyone has thier favs. However, the question was about High-End Res, so I say go with the good stuff because that is what that type of customer wants.

not all fiberglass is the same, the Angelo's are thinner, are harder to get into the ground, usually break when plowed over and are harder to see.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  8. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

There was a thread on this a couple weeks ago. I beleive i got the angelo's also. I paid .45 apiece.

9. NLS1

NLS1 Senior Member

I don't know what kinds of stores you have, but I bought 4' fiberglass 5/16" thick poles from Fleet Farm for .89 each. I bought rolls of orange duct tape and taped the last 2 feet and it is very bright. I figure I have about .95 in each pole. They pound in very well and are very durable so far. Unless you drive over it or hit it with the plow should be pretty good.
    I haven't tried this place yet, but here is a link that seems pretty cheap.
    www.lowcostmarkers.com