1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What type of insurance

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by rjigto4oje, Feb 19, 2013.

1. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

Im new to this sit ive been plowing for thirteen years commercialy for a landscaper next year I want to plow commercialy for myself not sure about the insurance coverage needed or the costs do l need general liability and plow insurance or is that overkill you can never have to much ive checked into a bussness licenses and its cheaper than i thought i only plan on plowing no salting

2. greekmaster

greekmaster Junior Member
    from IOWA

General liabilty is a MUST! Better think about salting too! Talk to your agent.

3. greekmaster

from IOWA

...in addition to Truck/plow insurance.

4. rjigto4oje

Do you need additional plow insurance l have never salted and dont know how to charge salting or how much salt to use

5. greekmaster

from IOWA

Be SURE to let your Auto/Truck Insurance carrier know you are driving around with a large piece of heavy metal bolted to your truck! You will sleep easier at night!

6. rjigto4oje

Sounds like you need to have to types of ins and salting equip to buy and then i hope to land contracts i know its a cut throat business every bodys lowballing these days

7. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Just call your agent and tell them to give you a quote on commercial plowing insurance. When you decide what you want they'll transfer your vehicle insurance with the plow policy then when the snow season is over you call them up and transfer it back to the original one.

8. rjigto4oje

do you agree that you need 2 types of insurance

9. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I use my personal vehicle and plow and I just have the one policy for what I do. You tell your agent what you'll be plowing and chances are they will know what you need to have.

10. Ben/Insurance

Ben/Insurance Sponsor

Im an insurance agent specializing in snow insurance. I suggest you contact an independent insurance agent in your area (as opposed to a State Farm/Allstate agent). You can google "Independent insurance agents" and go from there. IA's represent a variety of carriers and work for you not the insurance company so we can shop around for you. You'll need a commercial auto policy to cover the truck's exposures and a General Liability policy to cover the trip/fall exposure (after you've plowed) amongst other things. Rates vary wildly by state and county so it's not possible to get a good idea of what you'll pay on an internet site. A personal auto policy will not cover any business pursuit that the vehicle is directly involved with so you must get a commercial auto policy. Good luck.
    Ben

11. rjigto4oje

Thanks for all the info guys and ben i will start to get quotes