1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What type of insurance do you need ?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by iceman_4432, Dec 6, 2005.

1. iceman_4432

iceman_4432 Junior Member

Hi all:

Just got a plow truck this year .. nothing fancy, just a F250 and a Western Plow blade but have a few residential drives and private road im going to be plowing.

What i would like to know is what type of insurance do you carry for plowing ... property damage, etc.

Thanks in Advance

2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

I would get in contact with a insurance agent ASAP.It may cost you more for insurance then you are going to make this year.I have 1mill. on my trucks[Commercial Vehicle Insurance] plus a General Liabilty policy 2mill. and also a 2mill. umbrella policy.Paying about 9k a year.Better to be safe then sorry.Also my policy does not cover road work,only commercial lots.Do you have a tax number or is this just a side thing

Last edited: Dec 6, 2005
  3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

For the vehicle - Commercial Vehicle
    For other "property damage" and personal damage (called "Completed Operations") - General Liability.

4. iceman_4432

iceman_4432 Junior Member

This is just a side thing for now. I have a 800 foot driveway on a private road and when i bought the truck got a plow to do it myself. I like plowing and figured maybe i could make some extra money.

Thanks for the info on the insurances ... i wouldnt start plowing other people without insurance .. ill call my insurance company and see what the costs would be.

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If you are plowing other people's property, you are a commercial enterprise and considered a professional in the eyes of the law. Whether it's a "side thing" makes no difference when you're being sued for damages. The insurance company only cares about the answer to one question - How is this vehicle being used? My insurance agent explained that a "personal use" policy only allowed a plow to be mounted on the truck between my property and the nearest gas station for the purpose of refueling. Believe me, don't try to beat "the system". They've been at it longer than you have - you will lose.