1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What type of equipment for fastest Driveways

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ScnicExcellence, Jan 23, 2011.

1. ScnicExcellence

ScnicExcellence Senior Member

Wondering what type of equipment would do driveways the fastest. I am doing some planning for next year and would like some input. I know i can do an average driveway here within 3 minutes. not including shoveling of side walks. Just talking driveways here. Would truck mounted snow blowers work good? havent seen them but think it would be a cool idea, if they would go faster than a plow.

driveways average 2 car to 3 car size.

Setups i am thinking of using for next winter.

truck 8' blade and rear blade with sides that swing out. could do driveway in under 2 minutes.
    truck with a front mounted snow blower if possible. do a driveway in 1 to 2 minutes
    truck with just front plow do a driveway in under 3 minutes

what i don't know is how long a tractor would take to do a driveway.

What setup would do them the fastest, keeping in mind not doing any out of vehicle work just whatever can be done from the inside vehicle.

appreciate any help or input on this topic.

2. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Truck mounted blower units, are very cumbersome, and slow, so I would rule that out right away. Take a look at a tractor mounted blower, and a back blade set up. It sounds like your drives around there are pretty small if your knocking them out in 3 minutes each, and looking to go faster. 3 minutes a drive probably can't be improved on by much. Maybe you should just expand and put on another truck or two if your looking for larger volumes. Check out the user name Neige. He does a thousand or so drives each event. I'm sure he's the go to guy on here for this question.

3. KEC Maintaince

KEC Maintaince Senior Member
    from N.J.

hey guys sorry to jump in i know this is a dumb question.
    i hear a lot of guys talking about time for the drive way . 3 min 6 min.
    question what do you guys do when there are cars in the drive???
    i snow blow so i dont know. next yr i plan on puttin a plow on the road. im just lookin for info.

4. ScnicExcellence

That is the plan to add more equipment, i am trying to work things out for a setup like Neige with the large amounts of customers. I want to do it right though. I am going to make a two or three year plan, first year start with a truck with back blade and front blade as well i am looking at some tractors to add to the line up. What size should i go with for driveways? What size blower should i get. I can get some tractors for a really decent price now, because i am starting a small import business of the jinma tractors as well as some articulating loaders.

Would compact articulating loaders better than tractors with the same size blowers on them?

When i say small articulating loaders i mean 6 feet wide is the loader with say a 7' snow blower on it? or a 7' v blade or straight blade on it?
    Or would the pickup with the back blade and front blade do it faster?

What size tractors are best for doing these driveways? and what size blower? How long does it take a tractor with a blower for an experienced guy to do a say 3 or 4 car driveway? three swipes and shes done. no piling or anything of the sort like that.

5. ScnicExcellence

go around them if the customer is not able to move them. If you can get them to move the cars then get them to move. I can't imagine going in between cars with a snowblower is fun at all.

6. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer Senior Member

I'm guessing you get large storms like we have here, a truck with just a blade will be cumbersome. Personally, the best set up for driveways is like what Neige has, or a tractor with a rear blade and a front mount blower. If you're looking to knock out a large amount of drives (as long as they are in somewhat close proximity) a tractor/blower is the way to go.

7. D&E

D&E Senior Member

I hate when the customer leaves their car in the drive, especially when they have a garage. Honestly, I'm not sure how you guys with bigger plows or winged plows manage. I have a 7'6" blade on my truck and on a 2 car drive, it's a really tight squeeze to go past it without tearing up the lawn, and that's if the car is all the way on one side. If you're looking for strictly a driveway only setup, I don't know how big I'd go for a plow. Certainly not bigger than an 8 footer just for this very reason.

8. ScnicExcellence

I am going to market very close like 50 houses from every area that we will be working in, leaving at most a 1 minute gap between the driveways for travel time.
    Would the small loaders work with a 7' blower on them or would the say a 60 or 70 horse tractor with a front 6.5' or 7' blower and a back blade or reverse the blade and blower. Maybe i might go with a small loader and two tractors. then i can use the loader for moving snow around at the commercial sites, or send it to work hourly moving snow for someone else.

9. Neige

Neige Sponsor

10. leon

leon Senior Member

snow etc.

========================================================================

In a situation with tight clearances and vehicles, one manueverability
    becomes huge issue with gauging distances for snow removal.

Secondly the reduction of possible damage to automobiles and
    landscaping that the homeowner may have on his or her property.

A 4-wheel drive 60 horse power tractor with a
    Pronovost sidewalk snow blower
    would be much betteer suited for your task and
    can used easliy to move snow elsewhere.

Its narrow 54 inches, and requires a tractor of
    50 horse power, has an extended chute option
    and will handle all snow and ice build ups with the
    twin solid auger auger design.

The model is the Pronovost P254-W sidewalk snow blower.
    and the picture of it in the "Blower to buy thread" on plowsite.

All you would need for power is a Vineyard or Orchard duty
    narrow model profile 4 wheel drive tractor using the Kubota 8540N
    as an example and a set of "Polar" rubber tracks if they will fit the
    Kubota tracked undercarriage.

A narrow width back blade and the P-254-W would work well as the
    field of view over the rear of the tractor will be excellent with the amount of
    glass in the tractor cab.