1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What type of Container do you store Salt in

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by flykelley, Nov 3, 2004.

1. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Ok Guys
    I have a customer that wants me to keep 50 pounds of salt in there entry way to use if the sidewalk gets ice on it. They will apply it when they deem it needs it. I will be salting the parking lot and sidewalk after each event,but this salt is just a backup. What do you use,metal cans or Plastic. I worry Plastic will break easy.

Regards Mike
  2. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

I keep salt in my driveway at work. I made a wooden box out of plywood and painted the inside with oil and then painted the outside.

It won't last forever, but it has been there about 5+ years now.
  3. plowed

plowed Senior Member

You can use a 5-gallon bucket with a lid. We use them when storing/spreading Magic salt and they work fine.
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

If all you're wanting to store is 50# any plastic bucket will do. I use those buckets that Kitty Litter comes in. For larger quantities, I use 30 and 55 gallon plastic barrels.

Those 2 1/2 (?) gal and 5 gal buckets from HD work, too. I think they're around $2 or $3 with a lid.
  5. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

If you are going to use 5-gallon buckets I would find a drywall contractor or painter and see if he can give you some buckets these...A good sized contractor will have tons of them... better than paying for them, and they do the same thing.
  6. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

rubbermaid containers at any box store for under $5.00 with lid