1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what type of battery?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by ChevKid03, Jan 10, 2008.

1. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Quick question for you guys.... I'm going to be needing a battery REAL soon... I want to get something OVERKILL that I won't have to worry about.. I'm not worrying about powering all kinds of strobes or anything, all I have is a small magnetic strobe for the roof, but I want this batt to be reliable and last a while... what do you suggest for an 03 Silverado HD?

thanks!

2. TEEJAY

TEEJAY Junior Member
    from NE PA

I bought an optima red a few years back. It wasn't much more than a regular battery and it works well for plowing!

3. tim096

tim096 Senior Member
    from wny

I agree, if you want one of the best go with the optima.

4. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

If the battery is too large for your charging system, you will be replacing alternators real fast. Get the proper sized battery from the factory for the truck. One magnet mount strobe is not going to do a dam thing to the charging system. A larger battery will though.....

5. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Good advice, thanks! Guess bigger isn't always better.... at least that's what I try telling my girlfriend.... :p

6. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Actually, thats what she tells you about me to not make you feel so bad.....wesport

7. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

If you are going to keep your HD for more than 4 years get the RED TOP optima. Other than that i would go for the duralast at autozone, seriously they were in consumer reports a couple years ago for being the top 3 battery out there...

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i have two optima red tops i also have used a yellow top optima that is still in use going on 8 years

9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

What do you base this fiction on?

Get the biggest battery you can at least 800cca a 1000cca would be even better and stay away from any deep cycle batteries.

Get a second battery tray and add a second battery if you are serous about plowing if you only plow your own drive then one will be fine.

humm, I've been running TWO 1000cca batteries for years and have yet to have to replace the alt......Just like many other plowers.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2008
  10. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Thanks SnoFarmer....

I am just doing about 12-15 driveways... (more if I can find them or if it snows!!!).

11. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I 2nd snow farmer.

I have been running 3 -900cca batterys for a few years and I still have only one stock little alternator.

I have a 1988 Chevy S-10 that I made a new battery tray for and slapped a 1000cca battery in many years ago. It still has that same battery and same alternator.

A battery is just a storage point. Your alternator makes the power for the truck and stores the left over in the the battery. When you have high demand, the power is pulled from the battery, used, then it is slowly recharged by the alternator at one constant flow rate.

Get the biggest one you can get!

12. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Just bought 2 batteries for the 02' from Batteries Plus 980cca w/2year free replacement 72mo. prorated warrenty. Paid $65ea. they were $80 reg price but I have an account. To open an account they only need buisness check or credit card.

13. matts27

matts27 Senior Member
    from CT

I third SnoFarmer.

You won't hurt the alternator a bit. Get the largest battery you can fit under the hood. Got to remember that a battery is a chemical reaction. That's how it works, the larger the plates the easier it can handle a sudden demand / load.

That's what plowin' is gonna due to the battery, quick little demands... like cranking over your starter too. I've always shoved 900 or 1000 cca batteries under the hood and never had an issue. Plus, they have always lasted at least 8 - 10 years with no worries

Just my 2 cents:nod:

14. another thought

Wafer technology with a huge warranty (and price tag)
    Consider Diehard Platinum
    It is new to the market last fall and I got mine in Dec07.

I used 2 batteries for years and this is the first time that I found
    a single battery that could do the job

Down side-- price is the same as 2 Interstates

tc

15. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

It's good to see some positive comments about the Optima, I'm sold. Going to pick up 2 redtops tomorrow, i'm getting really sick of the 6AM suprise... "Whoa-whoa-whoa-tick-tick-tick" Followed closely by "YOU DIRTY ROTTEN BAG 'O %$@#*..."

Yes, I know this is an ancient thread..

16. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

On my 98 Chev I have installed the biggest battery I could get for a farm tractor. Its InstaLLED in the bed of the truck with cables running to stock battery underhood. No ya dont haveta worry about killing your alternator witha big battery.

17. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I put a Die Hard Platinum in my truck a couple months ago. Never hesitated in the -40 temps we had a few weeks ago. 4 year full replacement warranty plus the prorated part of the warranty. I don't remember how long the prorate was though.

18. mustangEd

mustangEd Junior Member

Optima Red top,
    I have had one last 9 years in a mustang.
    About the third time I had to pull the battery from the
    stang to start another vehicle...
    I have one in every vehicle I own. I haven't jumped my
    own vehicle in 16 years and counting.

Ed

19. Gix1k4

Gix1k4 Senior Member

I have a yellowtop in my 'stang...love it, but wasn't sure how it would do in a heavier application