1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What type cutting edge for a quad?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NJ Plowman, Dec 20, 2007.

1. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

I have a Polaris 425 Sportsman 4x4 with a Cycle Country 48" plow with electric lift and angle release and I need a new cutting edge. I was thinking about going to a poly edge so I can do paver sidewalks with it, but don't know how long it will last or if it is worth going to poly. I didn't get much out of the original steel edge that came on the plow so if I put another steel edge on it I will probably make one out of a Western 6.5' edge and just cut it down and re-drill the holes.

Anybody use anything other than steel edges on your quads? Any other good modifications for quads?

2. chrisvoll

chrisvoll Junior Member

Trex

We Use A Scrap Piece Of Trex Decking Lasts All Season And Works Great Cv

3. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I dunno but I have the same plow and mine is going to need change real soon. Maybe I will try the trex??

4. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

What's trex dercking? I have never heard of it... :eek:

5. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

I still have the original bar on my blackline. Will it leave visible scrapes on paver's?

6. rblake

rblake Senior Member
    from dayton

i have a piece of poly urethane on a v-plow for my quad. Works pretty well. Lasts a lot longer then the original metal

7. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i had a u-edge on my quads blade alot more forgiving when you hit a raised piece of side walk. plus lasts alot longer

JR

8. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Back to "What's Trex Decking?"

9. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

Its basically a plastic decking(composite). It doesn't warp or crack like wood Heres a link:
    http://www.trex.com/

10. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Thanx Deere, I never would have thought of that. I see that Trex stuff in my local Home Depot/Lowes, the "plastic" 2x6's used to build decks. I was thinking of buying a poly edge, but I might try the Trex...

11. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

The stock cutting edges don't last long if you put some real miles on it. Mine wore out before I realized it on the first plow I had. I bought 1/4" x 3" bar stock and welded it to the blade. Lasted all season. Right now I'm running rubber cutting edge. It gives before the blade trip so that helps when hitting stuff you don't know is there.

I like the Trex idea. It is mostly plastic with wood saw dust in with it. The thickness would probably work good. Buying it at the local HD is nice to. I might try that after the rubber wears out.

12. Petr51488

Petr51488 Senior Member

The trex wont leave marks on the pavement?

13. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Do you guys think the trex would be better on pavers then the stock metal edge?

14. Charlie's Lawn

Charlie's Lawn Junior Member

Plowman haw many accounts do you have