1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what truck?

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by jacob land and, Feb 16, 2006.

1. jacob land and

jacob land and Member

if you had no budget for a 2005-06 3/4-1 ton 2 door truck what would you get, ford gmc chevy dodge. i was looking at the dodge 2500 standard package. so i could afford a new plow and hopper spreader to go with it...

2. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

ford. period. thats all we run are fords and have always had good luck. my 1993 f-250 has 140,000 on the clock with the original motor, trans, rear end, you name it. still going stong.

if i were you i would get the 2006 ford f-350srw xl 4x4 6.0lpsd, 6spd trans, and put a 8ft or bigger plow on it and any 2 yard spreader you want/need.

3. jacob land and

jacob land and Member

is the 2006 ford f-350srw xl 4x4 a diesel? what is the srw, qould you get the manual or automatic?

4. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

they come in the 6.0l diesel, 5.4l gas, and the big v-10 gas. srw means single rear wheel or not a dually. you can get the 6spd manual trans which is what i would get, or the 5spd torqe shift auto trans which is an ok trans as well.

5. Groundskeepers1

Groundskeepers1 Junior Member

I'd say whatever you get, don't get the big v-10, tons of power for a gas engine however i think i normally get between 4-8 mpg plowing and about 9 pulling a trailer or driving around daily. If i could do it again i would get the power stroke. In my opinion i would get an auto trans also, a manual is just alot of clutching on a 10-20 hour route.

6. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

For the record...I love my 04 5.4 V8 ext. cab. I bought it new in 04 and have had no problems with it. Looking back, I probably would go with a diesel also, even though the price was a little out of my range.

In either case, however, I would DEFINATELY go with the manual 4x4 lever, not the electronic shift on the fly. I have had no problems with it, but I've heard some strange stories, ya know?

Let us know what you decide. :bluebounc

7. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

I second sweetpete, I have pushbutton 4wd and it failed when a vacume hose went. I will always buy stickshift 4wd on future trucks! Furthermore, I sort of wish that GM still offered manuel locking hubs.
    Ivan

8. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

06 F-350 super cab dually pick up with a 7.3 diesel (I know they don't make it, but thats what it would be) 9' western pro plus with pro plus wings for a 10' plow with a downeastern hydraulic V box.

for a dump same set up on a F-550 frame with swenson muilt purpose body.