1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what truck would you buy

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by fisher36, Mar 6, 2008.

1. fisher36

fisher36 Junior Member

1999 Ford F350 XL 4X4 - $7200

Reg cab, 8 ft. bed, V-10. auto trans/OD, 78K miles, 8 ft. minute mount Fisher plow,well maintained, has a few bruise and scratches, otherwise solid and runs good, cloth seats, CD player, tow hitch with electric brake hook up, Vanguard contractor rack, warning light on rack, Ford bed liner.

Very clean'97 Chevy 2500 HD 4 x 4 Truck - $6500

t. New bed liner, Cooper Tires, Extra heavy duty spring package,electric brake control for towing. Truck has 90K miles mostly highway. Interior is very clean. This truck has a lot of power.

Which truck do you think is the best one?
    I plan on using it for carpenter work and snowplowing.

2. soccerlawn

soccerlawn Member

Has the chevy been used for plowing?

3. fisher36

fisher36 Junior Member

fisher 36

It has plow mounts on it in the picture but there is no information on if it plowed or not. I'm having trouble posting the pictures

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

5. yancy

yancy Senior Member

I would say the chevy but thats because I am a fan of GM and do not like the V10's

6. fisher36

fisher36 Junior Member

fisher 36

yes it is.

7. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

get the chevy the ford V10s dont have enough power to get out of there own way. i dont know why some people say they have so much power the one i use sounds like its going to blow up and with a full load it takes about 30-40 seconds to get up to 60 mph.

8. fisher36

fisher36 Junior Member

fisher36

How long do you think the chevy will last if well mantained?
    Do you think thats a good price?

9. bosslover

bosslover Member

the ford v-10s have tons of power i wouldn't buy that garbage can Chevy you have to have the heavy duty spring kit just to even think about hauling what a ford can haul and plus the super duty is two years newer and less miles should be a no brainer, buy the ford that super duty will push snow like no tomorrow. imo get the super duty but its your choice and who cares if it takes a while for the v-10 to get to 60 its a truck not a hot rod hook a trailer up the super duty and to that chevy and that super duty will do circles around that truck and hookem up back to back ford will tow it around like there nothing there. buy the ford

10. BulldogPS

BulldogPS Member

Do not buy a V10 unless you love to waste fuel, total gas hog. That Chevy will last a while, my buddy has almost that same truck with 135,000 miles and after a good tune up she was a rocketship, rippin the tires up at 30 mph, so that truck should have plenty of life left. As long as there are no rot holes and the interior is not disgusting its worth $6500. You may have to put a few bucks into it but that will only make it run better and last longer.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008
  11. SnowplowingTom

SnowplowingTom Junior Member

Buy Ford

I own a 2004 f-250 crew cab with a 5.4 with a 8 foot fisher, Best combination! When plowing snow The truck has no problem with power. Also the ford has more clearance and when the plow is on the ride height doesn't drop nearly as much as the chevy.
    Your going to have to find a plow for the chevy and wiring so theres more money there.
    Your getting more truck for the buck with the ford! So do the right Thing.

12. jimaug87

jimaug87 Senior Member

so far the results have been pretty much contradictory and inclaclusive...

good luck!

13. soccerlawn

soccerlawn Member

I would say go with the ford because it already comes with a plow on it. But I would never want a V10, sucker is going to cost way to much in gas.....

14. PLOWIN DOUGH

PLOWIN DOUGH Member

Snowplowintom is right the plow makes a big $ difference.

15. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

enough said. buy the fordussmileyflag

16. yancy

yancy Senior Member

The chevy has mounts does it come with the plow or could it come with a plow? if you look at the chevy check the cab corners, rockers, inside the wheel well, and the inside bottom of the doors those are the prone rust spots for those trucks.

17. toyman

toyman Senior Member

I would buy the Ford. Three years newer, already has the plow, SOLID front axle. The fuel economy is going to be close with these trucks. The V-10 will have more power than the Chevy. It is a good price for that Ford.

Toyman

18. tanker6

tanker6 Member
    from CT

My 5.4 will get about 13-14 around town and about 16-17 on the highway. My old bosses truck same thing ex cab shortbed 4x4 with the v10 got about 12 around town and the same highway. with a trailer they're both terriable but the v10 will move a load faster. My dads suburban with a 350 could move mileage was about the same as my truck a bit more like 15. So fuel mileage should not be a vote either way. But you'll spend at least 1200 bucks if not more for a nice used plow for the chevy. Bring the 7200 for the ford but offer 6500 and work from there.

19. Bibbo

Bibbo Senior Member

id say go for the ford., less miles, newer and already has the plow , rack and light. plus the ford sits higher than the chevy and is a one ton so it will hold the plow a little better

20. Mike S

Mike S PlowSite.com Addict

Every one I know that had a v10 had the motors blow up around 100,000 miles. 7 different friends of mine. Thought I would pass that info along.