1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What truck would be best?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Sublime, Oct 28, 2003.

What truck for plowing?

1. Ford F250

28 vote(s)
  2. Chevy 2500HD

13 vote(s)
  3. GMC 2500HD

12 vote(s)
  4. Dodge 2500

17 vote(s)
  1. Sublime

Sublime Junior Member

We are buying a new company truck to replace our old 1990 Checy 3500. So anything is going to be an improvement for us. Basically we have pricing from Ford, GM and Dodge on a V8, regular cab, long box, 4X4, auto, with snow plow prep pkg. Same basic V8 trucks. This is what we want. We will be attaching a new Western 7 1/2' Pro Plow and using a Western 8' spreader in the box. We won't be doing any major plowing on a regular basis. We contract that work out for our parking lots. We use it for clean up work and keeping the handicap and traffic aisles clear. What would you guys recommend? Price is not too much of a concern. Just looking for performance and ability to handle our equipment with out squatting the truck. Its between the F250, Chev/GMC 2500HD and Dodge 2500. Is it beter to get a truck with more options for resale? We expect to keep it no more than 5 years then get another new one.

Any help is appreciated.
  2. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

My post is probably going to be of no help to you, but honestly, I dont think you can go wrong with any of the models you listed. The Chevy and the GMC are the same, so really you have 3 choices, Ford, GM, or Dodge. I think alot of the guys here may tell you to go Ford or Dodge though because of the solid front axle as opposed to GM's Independant Front Suspension setup with the torsion bars. The IFS has never been a problem for me or many others here though who have GM trucks though. One suggestion though, IF you get the Ford with the gas motor, get the V10. The standard V8 5.4L motor is a little bit on the sluggish side and feels like it doesnt have enough power to be in such a big truck, such as the F250-F350. There is a thread about it in the Ford section. The Dodge comes standard with the HEMI gas motor which, in my oppinion, is a real nice motor with PLENTY of power, 345hp. The GM's come standard with the 6.0L gas motor which has plenty of power also, 300hp. You can option for the big block 8.1L motor in the GM's and bring the power up to 340. Its not all about power, but Id rather have too much than not enough. Welcome to PlowSite by the way!! Mike :waving:
  3. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Personally i would go with the GMC or Chevrolet. Gm's do have high resale too. BTW Mike beleve it or not the GMC's have more hp than the Chevrolet's , only a small amount but is more. Good luck Sublime with your new truck whatever it may be!
  4. Plow Babe

Plow Babe Senior Member

We shy away from GMC/Chevy because of the IFS, but those trucks probably have the smoothest, most comfortable ride. The Dodge Hemi is sure nice :D we love ours. Ford has a good history of building tough work trucks. So, there! That was really helpful wasn't it? LOL
  5. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

Ford with straight front axle or dodge. Less moving parts and any mechanical engineer will tell you leaf springs are made to hold the weight.
  6. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

LEAF SPRINGS ARE MADE TO HOLD THE WEIGHT (im a Mechanical Engineer) :D

I agree Id go Dodge or Ford. I say this because I am starting to look into what truck I will buy next year and I have narrowed my choices down to Dodges and Fords.

7. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

#1 I would go with a 8ft or 8.5 . A 7.5 is to small of a plow for a 3/4 ton truck. [ the axle's on 3/4 trucks are to wide]
    #2 I would go with the truck thats got shortest turnig radias. That leaves ford out.
  8. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

I would choose

Dodge or Ford . I agree with SLPlow turning radius is very important . Looks like Dodge

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

10. Sublime

Sublime Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. I'll post our decision when we have made it. Leaning towards the Ford.
  11. Little Jay

Little Jay Senior Member

Chevy.Chevy, and Chevy. Questions?
  12. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Go with the Ford or the Dodge. The Ford and Dodge are the better looking truck and i see more fords and dodges with plows then i do chevy's and gmc's with plow. Get the bigger plow 8ft would be great on a 3/4 ton truck.:)
  13. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Dodge, solid american front axle, good ride quality,14" brakes all the way around,tight turning radius,best warranty,most power ,best value,great handling,good looking.
  14. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

I second what Scott(slplow) said.

If you go with the Ford, a 7.5 is too small:eek: 8' min

15. CPSS

CPSS Senior Member

We currently have 3 Ford F-250 Powerstroke diesels, and a Dodge W-250. The diesels win hands down, however they are about $4500 more than a gas motor.

I agree that a 7.5' plow is a little bit small. We run 8.5' Fishers on all our Fords. Seems to be the ideal size for us.
  16. Sublime

Sublime Junior Member

Well we decided to go with the Hemi Dodge Ram. They were the lowest bid and met our standard requirements. The truck we are getting has 4.10 gears vs. the Ford 3.73 so we thought that was better as well. I don't think we would have been disappointed in any new truck for our needs and am hoping the Dodge will hold up well for us.

Thanks again for the input!
  17. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

GMC's have more HP and paint than Chevy? :rolleyes: You guys joking or what? :confused:

If you get a GM product you might as well spend the extra couple of dollars and get the 8.1 since it gets about the same milage as the 6.0. JMO but more is always better

You can pretty much throw out all the such and such looks better coments IMO because you are buying a truck to work. Who cares if it "looks good or tough or big or what ever" JMO Besideds.....its no contest Chevy looks the best :D You can also throw out the there are more such and such doing this IMO because a majority of the people are clueless. Ford outsold chevy by about 1500 trucks. If you figure that GMC sold about 20000 trucks you know what that means? That GM sold more trucks than Ford.....that mean that I mad a good decision to buy a Chevy? No it just means that there were more people to buy GM. Fleets and people buy for many reasons and not neccisarily because they are the best truck.

Chevy has the best ride IMO......some people say they dont like GM's ride because it dosnt "ride like a truck" Still unclear how a car like ride is a bad thing??? But the dodge and Ford dont ride bad, just not as nice. Especially if you ditch the POS shocks that come standard on the GM's. Yes I said that ditching the factory shocks on a brand new truck I paid alot of money for is on my priority list. Blast away :p

The 2500HD is not a 3/4 ton pick up BTW, it is a 1 ton. Chevy aslo has the highest GVRW becasue it is a 1 ton and you are comparing it to 3/4tons.

IFS sucks for somethings but its not as weak as some say. It sucks to lift and it sucks for hard wheeling but I think they hold up to plowing fine. There are guys doing 4x4 launches at the track turning 1.6 60's and low 12.3's in the 1/4 and they arnt breaking the front end of these trucks, just killing the factory tie rods, aftermarket tierods are fine, cv's and the ring gear are fine. SFA is much sronger though, I will give you that.

An IFS truck has about 400# less capacity up front in some cases but you can still stick a pretty big plow up there. Fisher says a 9'6"V is ok and thats what I got. How much bigger of a plow do you want? We shall see how it holds up though I guess. IFS also has the tightest turning radius, Dodge is a close second and ford is way out there.

I'm kinda Chevy Bias if you cant tell but all of the trucks have thier pluses and minuses......and they will all probably be OK. They are all pretty good trucks. Every one has thier preferences.

More options help with resale.....and they make it nicer to own.

Edit: you posted as I was writing my novel.....congrats on the new wheels!
  18. ProSno

ProSno Senior Member

Good luck with the new truck, ford or dodge is a good choice straight front axle. Ford you have leaf springs dodge you have coils, either is far better than torsion bars so you should do fine. Post some pics when your done.:drinkup: