1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What truck to get to plow? Is an f-150 enough?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by spitbottle, May 24, 2010.

1. spitbottle

spitbottle Junior Member
    from Tamps

I am fairly young, 23 to be exact and I am just starting a landscape and snow removal company.

I am buying my first truck. I know an F-150 is good enough to tow a mower and landscape trailer. However, Is an F-150 good enough to plow with?

Some people say yes. Some people say you need atleast a F-250.

Please, I need help here.

Thanks.

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Some say you can plow with a F150, some say you need an f250
    some say you need a 6 wheel dump

what do you intend to plow?

3. spitbottle

spitbottle Junior Member
    from Tamps

I plan on plowing residential and some commercial. Heck, whatever I can land. I will pass out flyers and whatever comes my way I will plow.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

But the bullet and get a real truck. 2500HD.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Not all F-150s are created equal, unless you buy a heavy duty F-150 it could be to light for your application.. If you are making a living with this truck long term buy a 3/4 or a one ton single rear wheel drive. You can plow with a f150 but towing a trailer and plowing commercially will make it tired very quickly.

6. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

3/4 ton truck minimum.

7. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

if i had to go back and redo my choice i would have left my half ton on craigslist! buy a 3/4 ton and you will thank yourself in the end.

8. Turf Commando

Turf Commando Senior Member

I have 2 F-150's great trucks, realisticly I'd rather have a 3/4 ton ....

9. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I think you will be better of with a 3/4 ton or larger. I have always tried to purchase more truck or trailer than I currently need with the anticipation of using it to it's capacity further down the road.

I purchased my F-350 five years ago thinking that I would probably never need that much truck but if I ever did, it would be there. Now I am looking for a 450 or 550.

If you intend on landscaping, chances are that you will need to move a skid steer or a few tons of rock. A half ton just wont do that.

For plowing, I have always preferred Ford or Dodge. Their 3/4 ton and larger trucks have solid front axles. I prefer to stay away from independent front suspensions.

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Buy the 3/4 ton
    have you priced out insurance yet?

11. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I used a quad cab dakota for almost 3 years, fortunetly business has been picking up more each year and while my Dakota handled everything fine I knew a 3/4 ton would handle it much easier.

I now have a 2500 Ram that gets the same mileage as my Dakota with much more power and capability. It holds my old 7 1/2' plow like its not even there- I can't imagine the difference while actually pushing snow.

My insurance went up $40 for the year as well- No brainer.

12. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Sure does sound like a no brainer. That 2500 will be around a lot longer then the Dakota

13. aperfcrcle

aperfcrcle Senior Member

If you plan on starting a business and growing it to commercial snow removal status, it would probably be smart to get a 250 or 2500.. that is IF its in your means economically. If you can only afford a 150 or 1500 in the start, its all part of growing a business. Make some money with the smaller truck and then upgrade to the bigger when you make some money. The smaller truck will handle a few years of resi's without a doubt im sure. Good luck man! hope it works out

14. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Ya you'll want to get an f250 and if you do plan on doing commercial, you'll want to get a salt spreader or sprayer.

You don't have to get a v box but it will be cheaper In the long run, a little tailgate will do the job, just don't put bulk in it. You should get a warning light of some sort (beacon or strobe) or a full size lightbar, a backalarm will probably be a law soon so mine as well get one of those. And if you buy new, get the plow prep pkg.

15. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed. In the used market there are a lot more half tons around, but finding a similar priced 2500 shouldn't be too hard.