1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Truck To Buy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TeeJ, Feb 3, 2009.

1. TeeJ

TeeJ Junior Member

Sorry, I know that there must be a billion of these going around, but I didn't look hard enough to find one. So I am looking for a truck, something for light - medium snow plowing, towing and a recreational vehicle. I have about a 5k budget in mind just for the truck. I've looked at diesels and dually, and I need advice. I know i probably only need a decent sized gas engine in the end, but whatever I can get my hands on I will buy. I need a truck that doesn't have many expensive upkeep problems like with diesels, or suggestions for trucks you are using right now that would sound about right for what I want to do. Ford, GMC, Or Chevy. I'm 21 and thinking of starting a on the side plow business, and any advice on trucks would be greatly appreciated.
  2. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Check the used section, some guys are selling complete setups
  3. TeeJ

TeeJ Junior Member

Perfect! I never thought of that
  4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Wait a few months and plow trucks will be ALOT cheaper. Get at least a 3/4 ton truck too.
    Craigslist and ebay are good places to look too.

HEAVY HAUL Junior Member
    from Canada

Where in Ontario are you located ? Nearest City ?
  6. TeeJ

TeeJ Junior Member

Markham which is like 30 min from Toronto.
  7. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

I would tell you to get a 1/2 ton. cheaper then 3/4 or 1 ton can plow with it and tow better mileage then bigger trucks. Can they do as much as 3/4 1 ton no but they will push snow. my .02
  8. TeeJ

TeeJ Junior Member

This may seem like an odd question, but would I have better luck finding a truck for cheaper just south of the boarder like Michigan or close by? I have family in at least 4 different states.
  9. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Whats so exspencive about diesels? No cap, no rotor, no (spark) plugs. They will run a lot longer than a gas motor. Oh yeah and I only burn 1 1/2 GPH with my 7.3
  10. TeeJ

TeeJ Junior Member

All the mechanics / diesel owners I spoke to said that keeping a higher mileage diesel operating with parts and labor, on a truck from the mid 90's would have me regretting buying one in the end, I'm a college student, so I don't have the kind of money available to spend expensive repairs at once.
  11. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

But isn't the truck going to make you money ? There will be exspencive repairs no mater what truck or blade you buy. Just a matter of finding the right deal. :)
  12. TeeJ

TeeJ Junior Member

True True. I actually have to thank you, I pretty much just searched every keyword for like 3/4 ton and 1 ton (which I never thought to do) and I found pretty much my dreamlist of trucks. Hopefully one will work out. If anyone thinks I should take ford over chev over gmc, let me know.
  13. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Go with Ford or Dodge over Chevy for sure.
  14. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I'm going to be selling my Dodge in my sig. I am gonna post it up soon. You should check it out.
  15. TeeJ

TeeJ Junior Member

How far from Ontario are you? Another thing i was curious about was mileage. How many miles are too many? For a diesel how many miles would you say is too many and for gas how many miles before you would pass up a truck? i've never really bought a truck or a used car before
  16. Kunker

Kunker Member

Ontario is a big province...from my hometown of Thunder Bay, I could get to Superior in about 4 hours but Ottawa to Milwaukee is closer to 14 hours. Might help to know where you're coming from.
  17. TeeJ

TeeJ Junior Member

I'm in Markham, 30-45 minutes north east of Toronto.
  18. Kunker

Kunker Member

Whoops, re-read the thread and noticed that.

As for trucks, diesels are pretty hard to beat for milage and performance, but the initial cost is much higher (as I'm sure you've noticed). If you're daily driving this truck, spend the money, if not, go for a gasser. I'm thinking about starting out like you, but since I'd have to replace my TDI Jetta with my plow truck (still work full time, 70km round trip daily), gas isn't really an option.

You might also want to look across the border at Michigan...thanks to the downturn in the auto sector, it's a hurting state and you might get a better deal. Just a thought.
  19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Buying a $5000 truck is going to be a tuff find in Ontario. Plowing is harder on trucks then most people think. The batteries and alternator have to be good. You should start looking in the Spring and when you find something good buy it. There's a 1998 GMC 3/4 ton with a newer Boss V blade in the autotrader right now for $8500. It is reg cab, dark green and looks in really good shape. It has been there since the beginning of the winter.
  20. 2003ctd

2003ctd Senior Member

I know chicago is far from you... But I have a 2000 dodge ram 1500 ext. cab... Black, with leather interior, heated seats etc. It just had a brand new 7.5 western ultra mount installed on it. It just rolled 100,000 miles, it's only plowed a few driveways in its life time.. It's black in color and is the sport model.. Looks brand new, no rust and has brand new tires... Looking to get $6500