1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Truck To buy?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Snow-Kid, May 10, 2005.

1. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

Well I found two trucks this week and both have a diesel motor. I don't know which to get. The first is a 2003 F-350 4x4 regular cab with a 7.3 powerstroke diesel it has 29,000 miles on it. The other is a 2004 F-350 fx4 with a 6.0 and it has 17,000 miles on it. My question is which is the better engine? I imagine there is pros and cons with both. But I didn't know it one has more horsepower then the other and what you guys have heard. This will be my first diesel truck so i want to make the right choice. This will be used to plow with in the winter and trailer mowers, mulch and a bobcat in the spring summer and fall. Any thing to look for when I go test drive these trucks?
    I figured i would get a better answer from you guys then from any dealer the will just tell me what i want to hear. So thanks.
  2. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

Personally, I would stay away from the 6.0. I have heard several horor stories about the Torque Shifts trannies behind them going out with very few miles on them. Just my .2 cents. The 7.3's have been around a while and Ford had all the bugs worked out, as far as I know. I could be wrong, I don't follow Ford super close.Either will be a good truck for plowin and pulling your trailer.

3. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

There are pros and cons to both. Both will do what you want to do.

We have had no trouble at all with our 6.0PSD and love the torque. The tranny issues are more on the later models than the '04 models.

The 7.3 is a tried and true motor, but it too has some idiosyncracies (cam positioning sensor among them) and it is louder than the 6.0 (even with the pilot injection re-flash)

This is a buyers market. Bargain with the seller.
  4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Actually, the 04's have just as many, problems in the trannys, just some are different than previous years. Read the bottom paragraph (pilot injection re-flash) as "More Complicated".
    The 6.0's have bee TONS of trouble for Ford- IH had some major issues on build from incorrect main seals being installed, to turbo's exploding (literily) with no replacements available. Problems are being worked out (Ford threatened IH to drop them starting for 06) but the 7.3 is more reliable overall ATM.

(I work in the industry- sort of, but have access to alot of info relating. The Boss has an 04 E350 6.0- can you say POS!!) Turbo exploded- 2 months for IH to BUILD a new one, 2 transmission replacements and a recall overhaul all under 6K miles.

You may want to consider Other manufacturers for your first diesel. If you DO get a lemon- don't hold it against the diesel- just the manufacturer. Every company makes lemons- some more often than others.

Incidently some (especially on this board) have PS trucks and love them with no major problems- from my experiances in my local they are lucky.
  5. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

I wouldnt take a 6.0 if you gave it to me(well I would and then sell it)

I wouldnt fear a 7.3 though although they do have a few quirks. Not as much pep as a 6.0 when they are running though either but the 7.3 is a deccent motor.
  6. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

Do yourself a favor and buy a Dodge with a Cummins. Better engine by far.

7. Snow-Kid

Snow-Kid Senior Member
    from nw ohio

Thanks for all of the reply's. I would like to by a dodge but have not found any around my area for sale as of now. I am just looking right now but not for to long. I have my truck for sale now and two people are going to look at it this week so I may be in need of a truck sooner then later. I like the way my last ford worked out for me but maybe up for other options.
  8. Jto89

Jto89 Member

yes i would also go with the 6.0 i have heard only good thing abouth them. A friend of mine pulls a 33' 5th wheel with his and he love it. lot of torque and horsepower.
  9. Triton Snow Systems

Triton Snow Systems Banned

Have a 7.3. Wouldn't touch the 6.0
  10. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

go over to a ford diesel website like the dieselstop and see witch the majority prefers. Also go talk to a ford diesel mechanic and see what he works on more.
  11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Hey Snowkid- FYI a friend of mine works for a large tow company here, he made a run to Scranton PA from here (actually a dealer in Maynard MA) hauling a new Ram 2500 Diesel because the guy in PA couldn't get what he wanted for what he wanted to pay locally. He found one up here for the right price and had it hauled. The hauling cost him $800 alone so he saved alot of $$. Moral don't rule out looking a little further away.