1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Truck should I buy?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Lee1, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Lee1

Lee1 Junior Member

What truck should I buy? I am looking at ford f-250s. Should I try to get one without plow, and make sure it has snowplow/ tow package. Ive been stung twice by bad trannys and rusting issues underneath vehicles. I live on a mountain, about a 550 foot steep driveway. I have spent a lot of money and have nothing to show for it with the problems ive had with previous trucks. Thanks in advance Lee
  2. VBR

VBR Member

Get the f250 then fluid film the undercarrage. Good looking truck with no rust. Also get the plow prep package.
  3. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

buy a chevy 2500HD with the d-max, cant go wrong with that.
  4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ya until the frame cracks on the chevy... before you buy the truck take it to a good mechanic and have it checked over. you didnt say how much your spending. While you can pay a lot for a piece of crap, $1,000 will get you a $1,000 truck.
  5. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Ya get a Chevy Silverado 2500HD. I've had problems with Ford transmitions there not made to plow. I have been looking at the new Toyota Tundras with the 5.7 and they seem to be a real tuff truck and you can put an 8' plow on them no problem.
  6. santaclause

santaclause Member

I have a tundra I dont plow with it or anything but the 5.7 has the power I tow with it and it has no problems towing 11000lbs ,
  7. g.moore

g.moore Senior Member

What's the old line about opinions and bellybuttons?:nod: Get what your comfortable in and don't have to hide behind the house because the neighbors would complain.
  8. Farm Boss

Farm Boss Senior Member

I agree!!! How about this, but something that you believe will be reliable, is clean, meets your needs, and is IN YOUR BUDGET!

Ford chev dodge all have pros/cons.
  9. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

If you're not working it commercially, new Dodge gassers have a lifetime powertrain warrenty and can be covered bumper-to-bumper.
  10. jdo150

jdo150 Member

If you have the time and the money I would look fort a Ford with the plow prep without a plow if your going to buy the truck used. If the truck has a plow there is no telling what the person who had it befor you did with the truck. We curently have a Chevy and a Ford with plows and i like the ford better because it has a soild front axel altho the chevy gasser has more power then a ford gasser I would rather have the ford for the solid front. our F350 with a 6.0 psd and a 8' fisher sags less then our 2500 HD Chevy with the gasser and a 7.5' They both have the plow prep pakage im not sure on the front gvw tho....