1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What truck / Plow.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by combiking, Sep 15, 2008.

1. combiking

combiking Junior Member

Hi ive lived in Canada for the last year and thinking of getting in to plowing this year. As ive only been here a year i have very little back ground knowledge on the trucks and plows as we dont have them over in the UK.

For a plow i think my best bet is a Boss V plow. Would i be right or wrong in thinking that?

Now for the hard part. What truck. I currently have a 05 Ram 1500 quad cab. Im thinking of swapping it for a 08 2500 diesel quad cab with standard transmission, i have done a small amount of research and from what i can tell i wouldnt be able to put the Boss plow on the truck with out over loading the front axle, is this correct? Would i be better of with another make of truck or just a regular cab? The other idea i had was to buy an older truck and use that for plowing not sure if thats a smart move though.

Also would i be better of with a manual transmission? Ive heard that the automatics burn out after a couple of years.

Thanks for your time its greatly appreciated.
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Welcome friend from up north!tymusic

Good choice on plow.

Diesel is good but as you said ,not recommended for plowing but most guys put the plow on anyways.

Any tranny will burn out if you abuse it.
  3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Not fond of the manual transmission. It is hard on the left leg on those long night. If you like the truck you have now then an older reg. cab long box truck would make a great plow truck.
  4. lumps

lumps Senior Member

I think a quad cab diesel with a v-blade is too much for a 2500, though I may be mistaken.

As for tranny, I only buy automatics in my trucks. Too much effort to be shifting all the time along with operating the blade, etc.