1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Truck Is Better For Me?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by chevyRock, Aug 18, 2007.

?

WHAT TRUCH IS BEST TO PLOW 2-4 TIMES A DAY IN THE WINTER

1. 2006 chevy 1500 (v8 4x4)

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. 2004 chevy 2500 HD (v8 4x4)

12 vote(s)
    85.7%
  3. 2002 chevy avalanche 1500 z71 (v8 4x4)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. chevyRock

chevyRock Junior Member

ok so im 16 and i am buying my first truck i plan to plow 2-4 driveways a day in the winter. i have narrowed my choices down to three. chose one and say why...

thanks

2. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

'04 because the value has dropped a good bit, saving ins. and actual cost. Avalanche is an SUV, i wouldn't use it for plowing, '06 is too new, waste of money.

3. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to Plowsite. :waving:
    I would go with the 2500HD. You can put a bigger blade on it if you have to. Who knows you might get in to commercial. The other trucks are good too. But your limited with the plow size. Also you can hold more weight in the back like maybe a spreader. I made a mistake of getting a 1500 to plow with. Don't get me wrong the truck worked great, but i was very limited with what i can do. I would also put a 8' blade on there. Good luck with your search. Rich

4. chevyRock

chevyRock Junior Member

how much wear and tear will a little bit of plowing do to a truck?

5. Quality SR

It all depends on who is behind the wheel. But with a heavy duty truck you will be fine. Check out the Plow websites up top to see what plow will fit your truck. I would put in Timbrens to support the weight of the plow. I would also look into a truck with the plow prep package. The prep package has the Tranny cooler, big alternator, etc. There is some wear and tear like ball joints, things like that on the front end. But nothing too bad. As long as your careful you will be fine. Keep everything greased. My last truck i had for 3 years, I bought a used truck with out a plow and then put one on. Last fall i did ball joints, break lines, ( the break lines were going when i bought the truck) and beefed up the front end with coil springs. Other then that that was it. Rich

6. chevyRock

chevyRock Junior Member

Timbrens??...........

7. Quality SR

Sorry. Here is the website. The cost isn't that bad and you can put them on your self with no special tools.
    http://www.timbren.com/

8. Quality SR

This link tells you more about it. You can also type in what kind of truck you have and the Website will give you the part number for your truck. Trust me they make a world of difference. Almost everyone on this site uses them. You can even add them to the rear if your carrying a spreader. Rich

http://www.timbren.com/ses-kits.htm

9. chevyRock

chevyRock Junior Member

sweet. i guess i have to get a truck before i do any of this tho.

10. Quality SR

LOL. I have learned a lot on this site, from guys who have been doing this for a long time. The more you have the more money you will make. If it was me, I would go with the 2500HD with timbrens. A 8' Western Pro Plus or a Western V plow and a tail gate spreader. You can do driveways or sub for a guy, Then pick up some commercials next year. JMO Rich

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

2500 dohevord, or in other words anybodies 2500 HD with a plow prep. If you like Chevy then you are looking for the VYU line code designation. Get a Chevy (GM) dealer to run the VIN number on the truck you are considering, that will give you all the data on the truck right down to it's build time.

You can buy HD commercial equipment to mount on it.

You can carry enough material to sand a profitable amount of area with-out have to return to the supply.

You can tow a full size enclosed mower trailer with out major suspension upgrades.

Bigger brakes, heavier wheel bearings, larger axle tubes, stronger axles, lower rear ratios, stronger tires/rims, better cooling, a few of the benefits of a 2500 over a 1500.

As far as the avalanche goes it has a ride tuned suspension rather then a load tuned suspension. Nicer ride, add a set of non functional rims and tires an you're styling for the ladies, but it's not much of a work truck.

12. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Go for the '04 2500. You can never have too much truck. I'd take a bigger older truck than a smaller newer truck anyday.