1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What truck is best...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by CLC03, Jan 26, 2007.

1. CLC03

CLC03 Junior Member

I am looking into adding snow removal to my lawn business. I currently have a '97 F150 and I am looking at getting something a little bit bigger & newer. What do you guys recommend? Should I get gas or diesel? What are the pros/cons for both? I'm not a Chevy guy, Ford guy, or a Dodge guy, so I am open for suggestions. I would probably be buying something 2-4 years old due to cost. Lately I have been leaning towards a Chevy Duramax. Your input is greatly appreciated.

2. mike33087

mike33087 Senior Member

lol

MINE IS THE BEST TRUCK FOR PLOWING!!!

lol just kidding, you really cannot ask a question like that on this site cuase everyone is gonna say that theirs is the best. what you need to look at is what you can afford, how big you really need (definitly a 3/4 or a 1 ton) basically if u want a solid front axle (rougher Ride)(Ford) or an IFS (chevy/gmc/dodge) better ride. u just need to see what is gonna be the best all around truck for all your needs not just snow plowing. good luck

3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I'm with Mike in saying it's hard to narrow down truck manufacturers here. I'm a GM guy, had only GMC's in my 14 years plowing & rode in Chevy's all growing up. Many guys swear by Fords, and I'll be first to admit I see a LOT of Ford work trucks out here in New England (not only F250's & 350 pickups, but also dumps).

Much of it comes down to price, too. You'll find that GM products are often more expensive than others, and for no good reason either. It may be why Ford is out there so much.

Good luck!

~Kevin

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ill take this in a difrent Direction IF you are going to do ONLY driveways the smaller the better, I do ONLY driveways I started with an F150 with a Fisher 7 1/2 I now use only Jeeps with a Fisher 7 1/2. I was able to increase my driveway count by 30% by using Jeeps.

OK I said it..... now start the avalanche of posts from people who never used a Jeep, but say they are inaprpreate for plowing!

5. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

I agree with plowmeister, Jeeps are great for doing residential drives and small condos. If you are looking to do bigger places or commercial, a 1/2 ton is suitable, probably wouldnt go over a 7.5 foot blade and maybe some ballast. I have had both Chevy, Gmc and Ford. The Chevy/GMC's are good because I feel they have a better ride and turning radius over Ford and Dodge. The Ford/Dodge's are great for heavier stuff due to the solid front, but the ride will be far worse. It really boils down to what else you will use it for, what you like the most looks wise, etc. They are all good trucks, some just have better things than others. It also depends on the local dealers to you and the service they are going to provide. What ever you get is ok by me.

6. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

Personally I would go with either a Ford or a Dodge (both of which have solid front axles in the 3/4 and 1 ton trucks). I don't know for sure, but I don't believe either Chevy or GMC have the solid front axle in any of the years you would be looking at. Solid axles always have my vote, easier to repair yourself, and much easier to get parts for (and less expensive). It is also easy to adapt these vehicles to true plowing machines with the additions of lockers or limited slips in the differentials. Personally, out of the two I would go with Dodge, no problems, and they got some pretty sweet things in them, and they are often cheaper than the newer Fords. Good Luck!

7. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

It's all about trade-offs. I went with Chevy to get the superior Duramax engine and Allison transmission, but in turn I sacrificed coil springs and a solid front axle for torsion bars. The front suspension on these trucks is junk, IMO. On a similar note, I could have bought a Ford to get the heavier solid front axle and springs, but then I'd have the 6.0 Powerstroke that is nothing but trouble and their automatic which is nothing compared to the Allison. It really is all preference. No truck is going to have everything you want, simply because there's really only the Big 3 to choose from.

8. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

No, they are the balls for plowing driveway's imo. The thing is finding a CJ that isn't a rusted out pos.

Going to a pick up. I guess I'd lean to a Dodge with a Cummins, short box. Everybody has their favorites. Nobody is very willing to admit that they spent 30+K on a pos.

Oh, while we are on engines, look at fords bigger trucks engines, yup, Cummins power.

9. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

+1
    IN my opinion (and my wallet), the Chevy had fewer downsides for me. MIddle of the road in everything (by far best transmission)

What we need is a truck that turns like a Dodge, strength of a Ford, Cummins I-6 with an allison transmission, ride of a Chevy, priced like a Kia. ;)

Now THAT would be a truck.

10. DodgeRam1985

DodgeRam1985 Member
    from Ohio

Now thats just hillarious, God though that would be sweet!!!!!!!! payup

11. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with short wheelbase like in Jeeps. Though I have no experience with Jeeps at all, I can appreciate a smaller truck for driveways as I used a '97 2-door Chevy Tahoe for 3-4 years. If they were still being made, I'd get one again in a heartbeat!

Jeeps have been built for years, and I have to imagine most or all of the bugs have been worked out. I seem to recall people saying that Fisher installers are quirky about either being able or not being able to custom install mounts for Jeeps. That being said, remember I know nothing about Jeeps but would probably get one if I wasn't die-hard GM

~Kevin

12. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

Here's my .02...FWIW....I went with the F250 in my sig. I preferred the gas engine over the diesel due to cost and MY personal use. With that being said, I like Ford for the reasons mentioned....Solid front axle, well built front end (which is where most of your abuse takes place) and I think they sit a little higher than the GM's.

However, the ride is kinda bad. So, GM definately has the edge on ride quality. Also, since I wasn't interested in a diesel, I was happy with the Ford engines. Plus, if you want, you can get the V10 for about $600 more than the V8.

Well, that's me. Let us know what you decide.

13. horsepowerlawns

horsepowerlawns Member

This is my first year plowing. I picked up a Suzuki Samurai with a 6ft blade.
    Its small so I can get into the very tight places. You could do a large area, but plan on it taking some time.
    It was also cheap to buy and get Ins. on.

14. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

What I can't comprehend is how someone can have no opinion or favorite brand. I'm so diehard brand loyal and always have been, I just can't imagine not knowing what my next truck is going to be. BTW, my next truck will be a Duramax. Awesome power in a truck that rides like a Caddy. Biggest complaint everyone has about Chevy is they sit lower. Well, I like big tall trucks too, but the height of a Dodge or Ford is all an appearance thing, they don't have any more ground clearance and they are not any 'tougher', unless you believe in appearances which is what they want you to think. Any one of them will do the job, I happen to think the solid front axle argument was disproved 20 years ago. IFS wears less parts, Ford frontends are notorious for balljoint and tierod failure, and let's face it, a solid front axle is seriously outdated technology. Fords are a lot cheaper, which is why you see more of them used as fleet/work trucks. I happen to believe there IS a reason they are cheaper. Just go drive them all, look at them subjectively and let the truck make the decision for you.

15. Antnee77

from RI

Detroitdan,

Yes, the IFS is much more up to date than the old SFA, but it tends to max out at less weight. The heaviest Chevy/GMC 2500HD/3500 front axle is rated at 4,800 lbs., while the F-350 is rated at 6,000 lbs. SFA's may be outdated, but at least they are strong enough to plow with. I'm not saying I don't like IFS, but they should at least offer it with coil springs (which GM will be doing next year) so we can have a decent weight capacity to plow with.

16. Detroitdan

Well, everybody plays with the numbers now anyway, and there is no offical oversight. Whatever somebody claimed last year, someone else claims more this year. Ford is claiming almost 3 tons payload, and 3 tons front axle, plus whatever number is high enough to claim the highest two rating. At the risk of Joe Homeowner going down the road at 30,000 plus lbs with no CDL and juice brakes. And Dodge is claiming some really unbelievable HP numbers on the Hemi, just ridiculous to think they arent exaggerating.

I carry a diesel V8 and a 950 lb Blizzard 810 on my IFS with no trouble.

17. Antnee77

from RI

I hear ya. My IFS has been okay so far, but I do expect to see ball joints and whatnot going south sooner or later. Sh!t happens, I guess.

18. Detroitdan

I'm at almost 155k, no balljoints or tierods yet. Only frontend problem so far was wheel bearings went last winter.

19. Antnee77

from RI

Yeah I need to replace my front wheel bearings as well. There is about 1/2" of slop up there now.

20. Sweetpete

Sweetpete Senior Member

It's called being open minded. People like this are what gives Detroit a bad name. :eek: It's a good thing you have Eminem to bail out your reputation LOL!!!