1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Transmission Mods?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by griffithtlc, Oct 21, 2003.

1. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

Hey guys, after researching the TST fuel plate that came up in my "searching for more power" thread, I decided that next spring I am going to jump on it, and advance the timing. This weekend I'm going to straight pipe it (94 3/4 ton Cummins), and hopefully get a BHAF. I like finding out about things a while before I can get them. This lets me know how much I gotta save up, and research them completely. I guess my question is what tranny mods would you do? I am going with the fuel plate next summer, and probably injectors after that, so I might as well beef up the tranny first. What are the most essential things to upgrade? Thanks,
  2. wyldman

wyldman Member

You can start with a trans service,and adjusting the bands.Turning up the line pressures some will help the tranny live a bit longer,and doesn't cost anything.Depending on which plate you use,you can still slip the tranny,and also the torque convertor lock up clutch.

To do it right,you need a new valve body,or a shift kit at least to help it hold the power.A new convertor will really wake it up too,as the stock Dodge convertor is WAYYY to loose,and does not put much power to the ground.Replacing the convertor feels like adding 50 HP.There are also many other updates and upgrades you can do inside the tranny as well.

I'd recommend DTT products,and talking to Johnny D.He will put you on the right track regarding the tranny mods.Don't put it off though,otherwise if you do the power goodies first,you'll smoke the tranny.

For now,why not add the BHAF,straight pipe it,turn up the line pressure,and slide the plate forward.It will give you a pretty good increase in power,doesn't cost much,and takes only a few hours to do.When you do the BHAF,add a piece of PVC pipe inside,or the intake hose will come off the filter.
  3. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Matt,the tranny is one of those areas where it is best to do the entire package. Being a 94, the trans likely has quite a bit of internal leakage.When you raise the line pressures on an older unit,the leaks become bigger,and this hurts holding power thoughout the trans,and deteriorates the seals even quicker. A lot of guys have gotten by with strong engines and basically stock transmissions,but they have to drive the truck very gently in lockup,and there are certain times you can hurt the trans.If i were you and you cant swing the trans upgrades,go for a valve body for now,or a shift kit.Also I would put in a governor spring kit before you do the injectors.Look for a good used set of 215hp injectors,they are the best power/smoke injector out there.The governoe spring kit is the best bang for the buck,next to the fuel plate.I totally agree with wyldman's recommendation on what to do for now,you will pick up 40+hp sliding the plate forward,and the torque increase isnt so dramatic ,your trans should be able to live with it if the pressures are turned up a bit.
  4. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

I just brought the truck home today, it had the recall with the spring towers done, and a tranny flush and bands adjusted. As far as turning up the line pressure, is that just giving the TPS a little turn, to turn up the voltage, or something else? Maybe I shouldn't worry about the line pressures, as I won't add the plate or anything until next spring/summer. The shift kit, is that the "mystery switch" you guys talk about? Which would be better bang for the buck, the Valve body or shift kit? The truck is going to be stock for now, aside from breathing this weekend, so I am in no rush to beef the tranny. Thanks guys
  5. wyldman

wyldman Member

Line pressures are turned up from inside,so I'd leave it if you just had it serviced.

Shift kit is the better bang for the buck,but it is limited in what you can do.The valve body is the best way to go,as it does far more.

The mystery switch is to control the TCC.You can force lockup for better acceleration by eliminating the loose torque convertor.I wouldn't do it though,as the convertor will start to slip,and you'll burn it up.