1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What transfer gear do you plow in?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by wsmm, Apr 10, 2010.

1. wsmm

wsmm Member

Just curious what gears everyone plows in. I have 2 and 4 f/t & 4hi and 4lo lock on my one case, the other is 2hi, 4hi and 4 lo. I normally plow in 4 low lock on my current plow with an automatic transmission. Debating on using 4 hi next time or 4 high lock. If I put a plow on my 90 chevy which has a v6 and 5 speed standard I'm thinking of using 4 low in it to plow.

open to any and all comments or suggestions.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

4 Hi that's all you need to plow in.If you got that much snow ,why weren't you out earlier plowing.
  3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Mostly 2HI. You don't want to use any "Auto 4wd" setting.
  4. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

2wd unless 4wd is need then its 4 hi always...4low way to slow and shift points are to awkward for plowing

don't use auto 4wd because it will always be shifting in and out of 4wd
  5. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

4 Hi should cover 99% of your plowing.
  6. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i plow wih a 92 chevy 5 speed, and i use 2 hi exsept in driveways because if i slipon any of my drive ways in going to need something big to pull me out. stick with 4 hi or get a good set of tires and lot of weight and you will be perfect!
  7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I plow in 4hi. You get stuck easier in 4low.
  8. rjlawncare

rjlawncare Junior Member
    from ct

i would use 2 hi if its not slippery under the snow or 4 hi if its more slippery but i would never use 4 lo because it makes it hard to turn and not enough momentum for any drifts
  9. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

2high all the time while loaded, once the salt starts getting low 4 high from time to time.
  10. whiteowl

whiteowl Junior Member

As others have said, 4 hi is best. 4 hi gives you plenty of torque and traction for most all snowfalls. 4low just sucks gas faster than you can pour it in the tank and doesn't give you any more traction.

Been doing this since 2001 with my Jeep Wrangler in the upper midwest, close to the Great Lakes.

Hope this helps,

11. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

2hi until I have traction problems, 4hi after that. I also put my tranny into tow/haul mode and usually run it in first gear, which gets me plenty fast for my driveway.
  12. J-Quad

J-Quad Member

I also prefer 4wd -HIGH range.
    I can get more speed to fling snow, I can shift while still rolling and that all results in a better & smoother plowing job.
  13. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you have good tires and correct ballast

Always in tow/haul I use 2hi when ever possible except moving from site to site in unplowed conditions when it's 4 high all the time so you are prepared for obstacle avoidance i.e. Honda Accord, Pilot and the highly popular but extremely incapable Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT and Porsche Cayenne's.

I use the automatic as a manual, choosing the gear to match max desired ground speed, with gear choice based on maintaining desired RPM for power, control and best charging capacity from the alternator.

Normally I plow with the transmission restricted to second gear where there is plenty of power. Second gear in either 2hi or 4hi will allow more then enough ground speed, leaves the power band in it's most track-able an efficient operating range, will require less use of the brakes and limit shifting to a minimum keeping trans temperatures down.
  14. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Best answer!

4 hi and go!

Sometimes when your pushing huge piles of wet snow you'll need 4 lo but to plow just put it in 4 hi and go!
  15. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

2HI,,,until 4hi is needed, and then is things get very hairy 4LO, (IE Uphill and around a turn) just be mindful in 4LO as things can get very choppy when it comes to maneuvering, had a close call with a concrete wall last season, while in 4LO going through a tight drive up hill that needed to be backdragged, if the blade wasn't fully opened up I would have been looking at a new fender. Hey Shyt happens to everyone, just keep it slow enough to control but quick enough to be productive.
  16. Zigblazer

Zigblazer Member

Just how much weight to you guys have in the back to plow in 2hi. I know we plowed with a 2wd C65 at work, but it also had an 8000 lb chunk of concrete on the back. With my 1-ton ext cab long box I couldn't even go up hill with the plow up in any amount of snow. One tire would just spin.

I just traded down to an older 87 1-ton and will see how it does, but even with the locker in the rear of this one I think I'll need 4hi for any amount of snow.
  17. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

i couldn't agree more!

Put In 4hi and go!
    Unless you are moving stacks of wet heavy snow you don't need 4 lo. Infact I only used it twice last year.
  18. J-Quad

J-Quad Member

I'd suggest whatever the total weight of your plow and attaching framework is what you should put in your pickup box. The object is to get the same amount of weight on all four wheels for equal traction.

19. Zigblazer

Zigblazer Member

Considering the truck I will be plowing with this year is a reg cab long bed, with virtually no weight on the rear tires to begin with, and the plow is a really heavy Leo 8', I'm guessing around 800-1000 lbs total, added to the fact the tires on it are Uniroyal Lorado M/Ts with less than 1500 miles on them that I have had sitting around for several years now, I would say I need a crap load of weight.

What do you guys suggest for weight? I don't want to spend a lot or just dump sand in the bed. I have access to a tractor with loader, a pile of sandy fill, a couple dozen cinder blocks, and when winter hits, usually plenty of snow unless it is like last year.
  20. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

I would say 500-750lbs would be more than enough. If it is a dually make it a 1000lbs.