1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What trans temps do you guys see?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JDiepstra, Dec 6, 2009.

1. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

Like it says, you guys with real trans temp gauges.... what temps are you seeing and where is your probe mounted?

When I'm pushing it good mine warms up to about 210 - 215 and holds there til I am off the lot then falls. My probe is in the test port as I don't imagine it gets hotter anywhere than there.

2. 01SMOKINSD

01SMOKINSD Junior Member

I have mine in the test port as well. While plowing I have never had it go above 180* and generally it stays right around 160*. I installed an extra tranny cooler at the same time I had the plow put on, just some cheap insurance.

3. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Never really see it close to 200* unless I am really doing something stupid.

4. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

JDiepstra, by your question above, are factory temp gauges highly inaccurate or something? Just curious, My 2000 silverado 2500 6.0L has the factory gauge, and it has never gone past the middle ( needle straight up) I don't remember the temp markings on it... Are these factory gauges still a good indication of tranny temps? or are they junk?

Is is hard to damage an auto tranny if it is never overheated?

Just curious
    Thanks
    Matthew

5. shott8283

shott8283 Senior Member

before my aux cooler and aux fan i have had it above 260, and the trans temp warning light would come on and it wouldnt let me shift into OD.. (self protection)

i installed an aux cooler with a fan mounted directly on it (helps get air into if especially when im driving with the plow mounted, hard to get air flow in it)

the additions are new for this year.. so we will see.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ditto

Factory gauges are glorified idiot lights.

I think something was wrong with your gauge. No way you hit 260 and didn't cook the fluid and tranny. IIRC it's good to about 230.

7. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I see 150-180 while pushing. Bone stock cooler.

8. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

My allison runs around 155 under serious load.

9. JDiepstra

I don't trust factory gauges.

Sure, you can damage an auto tranny at low temps. It's not easy if you are running stock power though. You can slip a torque converter, slip your clutch packs or bands, you can snap shafts...........

10. JDiepstra

Wow I find some of these temperatures curiously low. But thanks for the info.

11. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

They're also not driving Dodge's... ;)

12. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

How hot is the engine running, I find it odd that no one every talks about engine temps. A trans is bolted to the engine and if the engine gets hot that temp is going to transfer though out the trans,its metal bolted to metal. If it has the little factory cooler in the radiator and the radiator is running hotter than the trans I will almost say the trans will pick up heat. I had a mechanic tell me a trans needs to run about 180 degrees to operate right.

13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Okee dokee

14. JDiepstra

Very funny. My trans is far from stock and I would even dare say would walk all over a Ford or Chevy trans. wesport

15. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Just installed a trans gauge on my Excursion late last season and we never got another push in after I installed it. I also used the test port.

16. JDiepstra

Well I imagine you will be getting one in shortly!

17. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

I sure hope so. that low needs to track just a little ferther south and east. Only looking at a few inches here. Maybe the lake effect behind it will get us

18. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

I hope you're referring to the coolant temp with the "needle straight up" - if not, you're cooking that poor trans at around 300*F!

19. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

My truck transmission temp generally ranges from around 150*F to just shy of 200*F while plowing- I like to keep it below 200*F- I've found that 180*F seems to be it's "sweet spot" (not too hot, not too cold)

20. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I've seen 230 once before-promptly let it cool and changed the fluid after that storm. That was actually on a very steep driveway stupidly plowing in 4hi with 3000 lbs of sand plus the spreader. Normally I see 200 as a high. I have a 98 chevy with a 4l80e. Sending unit is in the pan, aftermarket.