1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What Trans Temp is Too Hot

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Cosmic Charlie, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

I've seen 190 degrees on my DIC ... (no funny comments please)

At what point is it too hot and in need of an ASAP fluid change ?

I change the Trans Fluid once every year anyway ...

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't think that's bad. My oil temp pushes 200. I would say that's ok,,,but let's see what others have to say.

3. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

160-180 is about ideal on trans temp. I would say frequent spikes over 200 should warrant not only a fluid/filter change but also check your trans cooler, etc.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

5. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

After reading those two threads B&B posted. Everything he posted in those is correct. Much of the other bullsh*t is garbage.

I built the Allision in my 03 and it ran around 200-210 all the time. I shimmed the pump. (Yours should not be that hot, just showing for refference to the guy who said to stop plowing at 180 degrees. I would never get to the job if I stopped at 180.)

Trans coolers do nothing on these GM transmission oil coolers. I have had trucks with holes in the cooler or plugged coolers... Cooler out, piece of hose in. No change in temp.

Tow haul??? Really, the shift pattern is 1,2,TC,3,4,5 How do you keep the snow off your windsheild at high enough speeds to lock the convertor?

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

7. I RocDuP I

I RocDuP I Member

My 2011 Silverado 5.3 highest it ever reach was 180 doing alot of stop and go driving, once I hit the highway it quickly shot back down to 120. My GMC Yukon with the 6.0 runs 180 always and towing 200 sometimes a drop over

8. SMiller

SMiller Member
    from IN

Hitting 200* is a good thing, brings the fluid completely up to temp and removes condensation, 220* is the point where I switch to natural and let the motor rev (maybe even pop the hood to really remove heat) and when I am done with the storm flush/drain/filter/fill.

230* is make or brake time, really if you are even close to that hot you are probably doing something wrong.

9. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Thumbs UpThumbs UpThumbs Up

No Chebbies here, but 230 is where the oil will break down. If you see 220 you better start doing something different.

10. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

My 2011 6.0 with the plow prep package - with my the 9' Fisher with metal cowl on driving at 60 mph:

my coolant temp stays perfect normal

BUT my trans temp creeps up to 200* NO Mater Where I position the Blade ....

I don't usually drive on the highway with the blade on, so not much of an issue ...

just saying ....

anyone else ?

11. SMiller

SMiller Member
    from IN

200* is perfectly fine, might try pulling the shifter down to manual mode and run 5th gear instead of 6th to bring tranny temp down, bet you get better mileage and it is simply easier on everything.

12. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

payup try this guys .

chart.gif

13. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

I agree and disagree with all of it. Temps of 200 shouldnt worry you if you do routine recommended maintenance for severe duty e.i., tranny fluid exchanges at 50,000 to 60,000 miles. If you dont plan on ever doing a fluid and filter exchange, it would be best to keep it under 170-180.

It's really all relative to the type of fluid your running, frequency of maintenance, and how long high temps are maintained.