1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

what tractor?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by mopar/hiniker, Feb 25, 2007.

1. mopar/hiniker

mopar/hiniker Junior Member
    from iowa

what tractor do you guys think i should get to do some landscaping and for snow removal? would like it used. 4 wheel drive and a loader for the best price and brand. dont really want a deere. thanks in advance

2. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Oh come on... you know you want a Deere. My 4310 will push anything I can throw at it and is a great all around machine. It shows up really well in the snow too.:D

12121212121.JPG

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You could always check out Kubota, they make some pretty nice tractors. Any why not a deere?

4. mopar/hiniker

from iowa

i like deere but every one has them i would get one but i want a loader and 4 wheel drive and dont have alot of money. any options?

5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Everybody has them because they are the best made IMHO. OK, I'm biased. Have you thought about looking at used ones? You can find some pretty good deals out there. Look for one that has done farm work and not commercial landscaping.

6. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

thats a problem...lol, you get what you pay for with a Deere and you get A LOT...as for a cheaper tractor try looking at the Montana and theres some japenese tractor out there, its red, i cant think of the name now. also Case has the new farmall out there, i'm not sure of the price but it probably competes with the Deere. you could also always go used, theres a lot of good ones out there....i'll post a pic of our 4700...1200 hours and still going strong, its not for sale but you could probably get one just like it used for $15,000

4700.jpg

7. BOSS550

BOSS550 Senior Member

I think dirtdigger is referring to a Mahindra as the red jap tractor. Nothing runs like a Deere tho! I've got a kubota also that has been solid as a rock for 5 yrs and 1600hrs. I also use a customers NEw Holland (Ford) Boomer series. It's a heck of a good tractor and relatively cheap. If you find one (NEw Holland) look for one with the Super Steer feature--it's awesome. Case and New Holland are the same tractor I'm pretty sure.

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I bought this Mahindra 4110 4wd a couple years ago - tractor and loader for $20,500. Fabbed a scraper for the 3 pt hitch. Does real good for snow and ice. Actually, the company is based in India with facilities in the US.

Mahindra I.jpg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2007
  9. dirt digger

you could also try a larger Cub Cadet but man i hate those...the individual brakes pedals are right above the forward/reverse pedal so in order to be able to use them both your feet have to be on one side of the tractor...dumbest thing i have ever driven.

10. Ford Guy

Ford Guy Member

Why do u want a compact tractor? go with a skid steer. you get the best bang for your buck. you can invest $25 000 in a 35 HP tractor, and for that same money, you can get a 50 HP skid steer. compare the specs, the performance is probably double with the skid steer. you could do as much with a little 20 HP skidsteer as any of those tractors that those other guys showed.

11. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Depending on intended use....

Depending on your intended use, I personally would lean toward a skid steer.
    I have noticed a bunch of guys/contractors buy compact tractors just to trade them for a skid steer with in a year or two.
    Having run several skid steers(B.C 742,Case 1840,Cat 226) for hundreds of hours I have to say they are very productive machines.
    Something to consider.

12. mopar/hiniker

from iowa

where could i find a john deere with a loader and 4 wheel drive for 15,000. the cubs look of but i want more than 45 horsepower like 50 or more

13. dirt digger

that 4700 is 48hp and theres a few good deals every once in a while on Ebay...someone not knowing what their tractor is worth...i just bought an old 8N ford like that...but be careful of scams...if its too good to be true it usually is

14. dirt digger

also if you really want to go cheap go to Northern Tool and look at their NorTrac tractors....a new 40hp 4x4 tractor with loader is $15,500 with free shipping...it really depends on what you want to do with it, a little extra money upfront goes a long way down the road

15. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Stay away from the chinese tractors. They are too much money for what you are getting. When I was researching them I found a manual online and it said to drain the oil and put it over a warming fire on a cold morning!!! Also there are problems breaking wheel studs and other weak hardware. I was told if you use it for presonal light use and change all fluids right away they might be ok. There is no resale value with a chinese machine.The best I can put it is they are analog and ghetto !!! Take a look at new holland if you want something different. Their compact tractors are the same as the case so pick your paint color !!! As far as price all of the major brands are priced pretty close. I like the loader control on the NH. It's a joystick thats right next to you instead of a stick hanging out way up in the air. Just another brand to look at, as long as it is a real tractor you'll be happy.

16. mopar/hiniker

from iowa

thanks for all the help i think im going to get a case i love the 706,1086 1486 606, my dad has them all im not aloud to use his for my bussiness so i was asking you guys for a good compact. dont know alot about these new ones. well thanks for the help going to a dealer tomorrow. so ill let you know thanks for all the help

17. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

18. Tractor Plower

Tractor Plower Senior Member

A Case should suit you just fine. Although, if you go with the DX 48/55, they do not have hydro transmissions, which would be an asset to you in loader work and snow removal. Kubota has 0% for 36 months in Canada right now for the Grand L40 series, which goes up to 57HP (52 PTO i think). Although Kubota's cost more, they are the most reliable and quiet machines around, with very high resale value to boot. A horse farm near me has a 3 year old Kubota L3430, which is about 28 PTO hp. The great thing about this machine, 3900 HRS (yes, thirty-nine hundred, not a typo) and only a broken tooth in the front drive axle to speak of (2 days downtime) This machine is worked hard 7 days a week, taking care of 150 horses almost all on it's own. Duties include moving manure bins with the 3pt. and using a 6' front blade to pile manure once emptied. Also, snow removal in the winter and grooming 4 indoor arenas (and 3 outdoor rings in summer months) 6 days a week. Excellent machine in my opinion, which is what steered me to my L5030: problem free after 1 year and 400 HRS (Bush hogging, mowing hay w/ 9' haybine, bailing hay with small square baler, many loader chores, plowing & blowing snow.

Good luck with your machine, as I also like the Case IH/ New Holland machine, but compare prices at 2 dealerships to get the best price. The DX Farmall tractor and the TC Boomer are identical machines, with NH offering SuperSteer over the case.

Hope this helps, Mike. :nod:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2007
  19. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

Take a look at the new Massey Ferguson 1500 series, they are very nice compacts and priced very reasonable.

20. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

You're joking about putting the oil on a warming fire on a cold morning! That's hilarious though! :bluebounc :jester: :jester: :p