1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to use?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by WOODY367, Mar 27, 2006.

1. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

As soon as it gets a little warmer I want to take care of any rust on my chassis. It has surface rust and some scaling. I was told that POR15 does not work that well and I should just wire brush and use Rustoleum. Can anyone tell me the best way to do this job right so it will last. Thanks

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

You need to wire brush no matter what. I would brush then POR then Rustoleum. Properly done rustoleum will hold up, but a frame under a truck is tough to properly do, and POR does work, it just needs to be top coated with something.

Oh, and brush it on, don;t spray. Spray gives you thinner coats than brushing, and you're after protection not beauty. My Dump bed was completely brushed inside and out- once you get the hang of it you'll stop leaving brush strokes.

3. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I didn't think POR15 needed to be top coated. I used it before on another truck frame and it started peeling in places. They told me just take off the flaking stuff. I did the whole cleaning steps but still had peeling. Maybe I will try again on this truck.

4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I know of mixed results with it, but it seems to be from one of 2 issues. Either the POR wears through UV or normal elements which a good topcoat will prevent or it fails the bond because the surface was not properly prepped first.

In my experiance (personally speaking) the only flaking I have seen is when the metal below flakes off, which means there was more rust that was not treaded. Painting over the rust can miss some in pockets and craters rusted in the item. You need to make sure all loose rust is removed and all voids that can contain rust have been treated. I have never seen the POR flake off like paint that fails to bond.
    I never investigated the reports of it not holding up when people tell me they have had bad luck with it to find out why they had the issue, or even what the issue (flaking, wearing, further rust, etc.).

There are several manufacturers of this type of thing, some are not UV stable, I don;t remember if POR is. If you prefer, try Eastwood's brand of rust neutralizer. I have never heard of it flaking, just wearing without a top coat (pretty sure that is not UV stable)