1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to use

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by double e, Jan 25, 2015.

1. double e

double e Junior Member

Lower Delaware- I take care of 36 office buildings- medical, dentist, restaurant, animal hospital, etc.
    We are currently using 40 lb bags of calcium on sidewalks (some accounts still request rock salt)
    & 50 lb bags of rock salt to parking lots (some request calcium)

Is there a type of ice melt that I should be using for both, so the guys aren't worried about which one to use and where.
    I'm currently paying around $4.99 per 50 lb bag of rock salt & i think just under $10 for calcium
    Looking for something in the middle to switch to. Easier ordering all the same-
    we average 2-3 storms a season- 2-5" per storm- not alot of snow fall down here

2. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

Nothing for a price that's in the middle(what I assume you want) that I know of, there are plenty of melt products but there are more then $10-40lb

3. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

Every region has different brands or names of ice melt. You should be able to get a blended ice melt product that will have sodium chloride (rock salt) and Calcium in the same bag. You should have options in the $5-$10 range.

4. gd8boltman

gd8boltman Senior Member

Have you thought

about liquid?

5. double e

double e Junior Member

Thanks for replies- pretty much what I thought. Not sure which route to go with. It's tough switching parking salt when I'm getting it for $5 per bag to something that will cost more.