1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to use to weigh down the truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LR3, Aug 8, 2015.

1. LR3

LR3 Senior Member

I bought a pickup to plow with this year. I am not putting a salt spreader in the back and I'm wondering what you guys use to weigh down the back end of your truck. I don't want it banging around in back as I'm pushing into piles or accelerating on dry roads. Thanks for any help.

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

V box spreader?

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

A bbw ? :)

4. f150skidoo

f150skidoo Member

Look on Craigslist for someone getting rid of 24"x24" patio stones. They weigh around 90lbs a piece, lay them down flat so your bed is still use full.

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What do you use the truck for while in the winter. That might help in determining your options

6. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Go to Home Depot and buy bagged plyground sand. Easy to handle, won't bang up the truck bed, and when( not if) you get stuck you'll have some traction by the shovel full in the back.

7. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I stack a row of 20 inch "green" Red Oak rounds across the back. Easy in, easy out.
    But I was thinking of filling 2 or 3 walmart sourced plastic storage bins (the blue ones with the snap on covers) with salt/sand mix. Should be able to ratchet strap them in the back by the tailgate.
    Or maybe build a 2x6 frame to sit in the space behind the wheel wells to hold them.

8. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

A 2 x 12 in the slots behind your rear wheel wells, and then a bunch of tube sand.

9. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Be careful of salt. If you're plowing gravel it'll pull the frost out and make a muddy mess.

10. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

That's what I did. 6 to 8 bags.

11. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I use a half a pallet of side walk salt.

12. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

That could be useful when you're falling asleep in the middle of the night.

13. LR3

LR3 Senior Member

That's a great idea. Thanks. Two, actually.

14. LR3

LR3 Senior Member

Do you use the salt or is it just there for the weight? I really don't want salt in the back even though I have a Rhino liner.

15. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

I occasionally use a bag or 2 as needed but its mostly there for the weight. Its a win win for me.

16. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

2x12" in the slots and some rocks or concrete block laying around is what I use.

17. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

get a couple parking stops

18. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

or a really heavy bumper..:laughing::laughing:

[​IMG]

19. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

LOL!

some of our guys that don't spread take our bagged salt, stack sometimes an entire skid in a full bed pickup truck,, some even put a sheet of plywood overtop and still can load in their snow blowers on top and strap them down.

20. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Please post more pic of that old girl reminds me of my dads dodge think 93or 94 it was a lemon cuz the side window had an air leak but that thing ran strong when he traded it in couldn't kill that thing