1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to use to wash off salt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by stevesmowing, Nov 7, 2010.

1. stevesmowing

stevesmowing Member

I just bought a bobcat we be using this year. My question is this, what is the best way to wash off the salt after each storm? I was thinking about using an electric pressure washer with a pump hooked into a barrel of some type of washer fluid solution or something that wouldn't freeze. My problem is I don't have water where I keep the machine and it would have to be brought in. Any other ideas? Is washer fluid likely to cause rust?
  2. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I don't know about any solution to help with the salt, I just presure wash the truck and plow when done plowing
    if it's to cold out I go to the local car wash
  3. JB1

JB1 Senior Member

I always use a pressure washer with hot water.
  4. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

thers a product i bought called CHLOR-RID ...i have a gallonbut i didn't use it last year. i think they were a sponsor on here. i'll see if i can find a link
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  5. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

6. pheasantfarmer

pheasantfarmer Member
    from MN

You could also put a fluid film on it before the season i hear that helps alot!
  7. stevesmowing

stevesmowing Member

8. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

pressure washer with hot water and a good detergent is all we use. good for washing the beds of our salt trucks as well.

9. Township1

Township1 Member

10. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

My uncle has a heated preasure washer that he uses to wash all of his plow trucks. He said that the heated preasure washer cost alot but, it's worth it.
  11. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

I agree, well worth it. How much will a sandblast and paint job cost for the machine in a few years when it becomes a bucket of rust? I'm sure much more than a solid hot water washer.
  12. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Salt Away, one gallon lasts years makes 512 gallons of Salt Away....try it on ebay: salt away and get their mixing unit that plugs into your hose. We use first with regular water and then use pressure washer and lastly re-apply fluid film! Makes for new looking and operating equipment!
  13. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

I'll second that. This product works awesome. We also use their lubra seal product twice a year to spray down all sanders,chains, truck body frames etc. If you combo those two products, it greatly reduces rust, and sander chains never lock up over the summer. The products aren't that cheap, but work well.
  14. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

This is encouraging to hear. We just purchased these same products, and I had yet to hear any feedback about them. The salter chain seemed to run without any issued when we turned it on last week, so far, so good. *knock on wood*

We also undercoat our trucks and equipment prior to the season as well.

- Dan
  15. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

A little vinegar solution works well too. Spray it on, let it sit, and pressure wash it off.
  16. john mc

john mc Member

I also use salt away. with the power washer on low psi 1,500. I still have rust but i bet it would be worse. I also use fluid film and its the balls . my roller conveyer chain never locks up anymore. I also put in in a spray bottle and spray the truck
  17. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

Whats 13 bucks a gallon compared to a rotted out turd of a skid loader? Protect your investment. Also like said in a previous post hose it down with fluid film, I just got done doing 2 of my trucks tonight.
  18. Township1

Township1 Member

We use the lubra seal as well - like you said not cheap, but the way I look at it neither is the equipment.
  19. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

Salt-a-way is cheap when you break it down per gallon. it works well and is easy to apply.