1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to use to prevent ice?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by AO8, Nov 2, 2010.

1. AO8

AO8 Junior Member
    from IL

I use salt but customers complain after the snow and ice dry up that they have salt stains on their concrete, does this hurt the concrete? or should i use something else that wont hurt the pavement if the salt does? thanks in advance

2. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

They are complaining about "salt stains"? Tell them its just residue and that it is proof that you are doing a good job. The salt vs concrete debate has been beaten to death if you'd like to search it on here.

3. AO8

AO8 Junior Member
    from IL

Yeah I've noticed all the posts lol, they don't really give a clear winner tho, I guess I'm just wondering if the salt hurts the concrete or not, like will it make it erode or crack easier, customers ask me that ALL the time

4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Just switch to a calcium mix for concrete surfaces. There are many available, but you have to pay for it. So in turn if your customer is asking for you to change, then I would safely assume that same customer isn't going to mind the extra charges to do what they want. It all just means extra dollars in your pocket. I don't get what the problem is.

5. AO8

AO8 Junior Member
    from IL

Theres not really a problem, im just wondering if salt will hurt the concrete over time, like corode it. if it does then i would go to a calcium but if it doesnt then ill just tell the customers that it wont hurt anything. I just dont want to lie to them and say salt wont hurt the concrete if it actually will

6. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

the salt doesnt corrode the concrete. rock salt lowers freezing point of water, so the ice turns to water and then gets absorbed into tiny cracks of the concrete. it then freezes and expands which cracks the concrete. so its the natural freeze thaw cycle accelerated by rock salt that damages concrete.

calcium chloride reacts with the ice to create heat, melting the ice and helping it to evaporate therefore leaving less water to get into the concrete to re-freeze.

7. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

No. Salt is no worse or better than calcium if used properly.

8. AO8

AO8 Junior Member
    from IL

Ok Thanks alot for the replies!

9. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Wait a Minute....I thought salt Ate Concrete...:nod:

10. cretebaby

Only if it is hungry. :waving:

11. BOSS TOY

BOSS TOY Member

salt is bad for new concrete and stamped acid stained concrete. I dont know from experience but this is what I've heard.

12. cretebaby

Well that is a big help. :rolleyes:

13. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

............Nevermind...:dizzy:...Im too tired..

14. BOSS TOY

BOSS TOY Member

yeah and your a big help too:dizzy:

15. BOSS TOY

BOSS TOY Member

So mr helpful are you saying you would go and salt someones new stamped acid stained concrete that cost them $ 75,000, when there are other products available, without giving it a second thought? I have heard the chemical used to allow the acid to absorbe will do the exact same with salt It will absorb it. Obviousely you are trying to make yourself look smarter by making me look dumber, Good luck to you.:realmad:

16. cretebaby

Since you don't have any first hand experience what have you heard that would work good instead?:laughing:

17. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

HaHAHAHA, I think Cretebaby needs the best of luck! :laughing:

18. BOSS TOY

BOSS TOY Member

I'm not sure, I have left it to the homeowner to supply me with ice melter. I assume it will be some sort of fertilizer based product. If I have to I will talk to the people who installed the driveway to see what they recomend. I dont want to use salt if I dont have to, at least if the homeowner supplies it I'm off the hook.tymusic

19. cretebaby

Maybe we could use some HulkSalt on it. :waving:

20. cretebaby

Like Potash?