1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to use to paint the dump bed

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by lilweeds, Mar 6, 2010.

1. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

I have a nearly 4 year old dump bed that looks like, well you can imagine the word I'd like to use. Inside and out it is less them desirable. I want to paint it, but don't know what to use. LineX? Other paints, powder coat? Also I plan on having it sandblasted and since the rear hinges are welded, where can you purchase new hinges. I would prefer ones that the pin can come out for when I want to do this again. Thanks!

Rich

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm guessing the only product that would hold up would be something like POR-15.

Another approach might be to treat it regularly with Fluid Film. That would help lengthen the life of your bed.

3. billet-boy

billet-boy Member

I second the POR-15 just don't get it on anything you don't want it on :realmad:

4. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

por-15 will fade badly in direct sunlight

5. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Id say Powdercoat or POR-15

6. SawHoss

SawHoss Member

We've used to use POR-15 on our skid loader trailer. It's ok, alot of work. I would get it sandblasted first. alot of equipment painting shops will sandblast and prime,and or paint. Put a good equipment enamel on it.Then keep up with it. Remember its a work truck not a show piece.

7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

For the inside I would prep and prime it,nothing however will stand up to the abrasion a dump body endures.Then install 1 of the many HD plastic body liners available--they come in all thicknesses and even offer a few that can handle blacktop.For the outside,prep,prime and use Cat frame paint.Do not waste your time with POR-15--it's junk.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Unless you only haul mulch, and maybe some loam, I can't say I would bother with anything other than FF. I don't know how POR will hold up to gravel, but I have a pretty good idea how paint will hold up.....

9. UnderPSI

UnderPSI Junior Member

It is worth the time to take the dump box off and have it powder coated. That's what we did to ours. Two coats, black then a clear. It is still looking great 4 years later.

10. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Powedercoat is nice BUT when it chips corrosion gets under the coat and will blister. More expensive to apply and more expensive to re-finish. IMO por-15 works well with a topcoat of acrylic polyurethane such as Imron. If your on a budget wire wheel and scuff shiney surfaces of the bed, spot prime and top coat with rustoleum. You may either spray or brush and roller it. It will look good and very inexpensive to touch up.

11. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

thats because you are supposed to top coat it. its only a primer, very good at covering rust and holding it off, but you must top coat or you waisted your time.

12. bike5200

bike5200 Senior Member
    from Ky

Use a Rust Converter, prime and paint

13. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I've never had any luck with these "rust convertors". I think its snake oil. Tried a couple different brands and never did any of them do what the pictures show them to do.

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I called and talked the folks at POR a few months ago. While the product claims you can put it over rusty metal, the fellow on the phone said sandblasting is the way to go for a long lasting job. It wouldn't be extremely expensive to try the stuff in a dump bed and see how it holds up. POR offers products in there own line that are UV resistant.

15. lilweeds

Thanks guys..... I am going to either powder coat or use a heavy equipment/tractor paint on the outside and I think I'll line X the inside and throw a poly liner in it. That should cover all my bases. Thanks again.

16. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Your going to need one huge oven for that dump body to fit in to cure the powder coat

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I think Sears is having an appliance sale.

18. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Someone is having a buy one get one free sale

19. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Here's a link to help you understand the powder coating process. There is no way PC will work on your dumpbed:
    http://www.wikihow.com/Powdercoat

IMO por 15 and a top coat of imron. Much cheaper but mor expensive than rustoleum

20. lilweeds

I'm not looking for the inside, but the outside of the bed. Most likely I will be using an equipment paint.