1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

What to use to haul snow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by TandL, Jul 2, 2014.

1. TandL

TandL Junior Member
    from Canada

Planning to get into commercial snow removal this year and one of the clients that i would be doing needs the snow removed every so often as they have a small parking lot for a very busy place. I really want to get them as its not only that lot i will get it will be 2 or 3 others plus several residential apartments

What should i use to take the snow to a snow dump?

2. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

What have you got for equipment now, how will you load.

3. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

were are you located you may be able to rent a bobcat or somthing like a toro dingo fromt home depot if you have a pick up get a load handler if you not sure what im talking about look up load handler on YouTube

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

A dump truck

5. TandL

TandL Junior Member
    from Canada

Well so far i have no equipment. But I'm planning on getting a skid steer of some sort, looking towards the cat brand.

I was thinking dump trailer and a 3500 would work.
    Dump truck would also work but not sure if its the most practical item for other times also

Any other suggestions ?

6. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Hire a tri ax

7. dieselss

Hire it out. Might be cheaper

8. TandL

TandL Junior Member
    from Canada

9. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

x2... snow is heavy

10. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

How heavy is one snowflake?

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

How many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsie pop?

Loading with a dingo and hauling with a 1 ton and a dump trailer would be like peeing in a lake trying to raise the water level. You'd spend all day and when you got done it would be difficult to see if you got anything accomplished.

12. dieselss

But it sure would fun trying.......glug glug glug.

13. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

.001-.003 grams

But an acres of snow @10 inches weight 226,000 pounds or so.

Google is awesome lol

14. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

So it occurs to me to ask the O.P are you currently involved in the snow/property service industry or just starting out? You can learn a heck of a lot on this web site use search it will save time and help you ask better questions hence if you are in the business build a better business. Good luck.

15. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

When's the last time you seen a Tri axle hauling snow with the pusher axle down? Never!!! Cause snow is soo light! Why are snow buckets twice the size of dirt buckets? My buddy hauled a lot of snow this winter on a truck with scales and if I remember correctly the heaviest load was 8 tons

16. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

The only problem with a dump trailer is you get 3-4 dumps out it, depending how heavy the load is, before the battery is dead. You could always carry an extra battery or two with you just in case.

17. snowymassbowtie

snowymassbowtie Member

For the first year

I would either buy or rent some type of bucket machine.whatever it is make sure it will lift high enough to load a dumptruck or landscaper type truck with sides which ever you choose, a small loader or bobcat type of machine that you can also use for plowing. I would hire out the hauling and that way you can get an idea of what will be your best option of buying your own truck or just sub it out. The set up that works here is a 1 ton dump or landscape body that dumps to pull the machine around as well you can do some of the hauling your self. You will need a place to bring it where it is legal to dump. with the added cost of a the truck to haul you may find its best to sub it out and still make money with out the cost of a larger truck.

18. TandL

TandL Junior Member
    from Canada

[​IMG]

I found this dump truck, good price and saftied. Need to go check it out still.

I'm trying to avoid subbing it out as i know the one location last year spent 6000 dollars alone on removal, So i could pay for the dump over time.

To haul the machine, I'm planning on buying a car hauler with 2 3500 pound axles, Trailer is in great shape for about 1250-1500 dollars. Then i found 2 6000 pound axles on a local classified for about 500 dollars that will fit this trailer. Either the dump truck or my personal truck will pull the trailer

To answer Chineau, I started last year in the residential area of snow removal, Just with my truck my buddy, a couple of shovels and 2 snowblowers (we took from our parents). We did fairly good and are both graduated now from high school. We are planning to try and make this more of a full-time job. I've done tons of research on this site and this question i could not find anywhere. I searched for it but couldn't find it. Thats the only reason why i posted.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  19. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

1. Sometimes it isn't cost effective to own something.

2. Your idea with a trailer is fine as long as you can change the weight tag on the trailer. If not you're screwed. In in America I don't know Canada's laws.

3. You should really listen to the people here. You have great advice in this thread but ignore it.

20. TandL

TandL Junior Member
    from Canada

I'll have to check with the law on the trailer, and I'm takin all the advice in. I haven't ignored anyone's advice. I'm absorbing all the advice you guys are giving me. Ive still got lots of time to make my decision. I just want to come at it from every angle.